Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loss of power on my Honda Civic 2002 1.7Cdti

Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Default Loss of power on my Honda Civic 2002 1.7Cdti

I recently bought a Honda civic 1.7cdti 2002 diesel car last month. I am experiencing some electrical problems with the car.

At speeds over 60mph the car engine malfunction light comes on and the car experiences loss of revs and power. The maximum revs that I can reach when the engine light comes on is 2000 revs. This only happens when the car reaches a certain speed and not the engine working over certain number of revs. I have driven the car at higher number of revs but at a lower speed and the engine runs smoothly. The engine runs normally when driving around the city and I only experience this problem when I start to drive on motorways.

It is only when the speed exceeds 60mph the engine malfunction light comes on and the car experiences loss of power and revs. The car does do not exceed 2000 revs and this limits the speed of the car to 60mph max.

The weird thing is when I turn the engine off and back on again I get my revs and my speed back. The Engine light stills shows for a while and then turn off itself until the next time I reach speeds of 60 mph when the light comes back on again and the same cycle begins.

Please could someone on here tell me what is going on? I am seriously considering getting rid of my car already as I have read on various forums that customers have spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds try to find the root cause of the problem and have not always been successful The car was serviced in Feb 2012 and MOT is not till next year.

I really like the car and can’t fault it in any other way. I want to keep it for as long as I can but I might be forced to trade the car for another just for this reason.

Please could someone help me or tell me if they have experienced the same problem that I am encountering.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Use a code scanner to read the trouble code out of the computer. Any time the light comes on a code will be stored. We don't have diesel Civics in the USA so this particular forum may not be the most help to you.