Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX AC-Heater Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Russ
I'll pick up a volt meter at Harbor Freight.
Pick up a digital multimeter.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 PM

OK, I've got continuity.

I performed test #19. I've got voltage and it calls for replacement. Fan should be here Tuesday.

Thanks for your help.

Russ

Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM

OK,

The new blower motor didn't help. I've still got nothing!!! Argh!

Could it still be the transistor? Could I have performed any of the test wrong by having the battery attached? I didn't test any of **** controls. Could that be the problem?

I'm cursed when it comes to AC/Heaters. My last Prelude had a bad AC and I suffered for 4 summers without AC.

Frustrated.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 AM

RonJ? Anyone? Any ideas?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's important not to skip steps in the troubleshooting procedure. Redo tests in order to see what falls out.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Thanks Ron, I'm going to work with my Honda mechanic to redo the test.

As a funny side note, the fan operated this morning at 4:30 am on my way to the airport. Go figure. It didn't work yesterday afternoon, but somehow it works this morning.

I've picked up the resistor as well. I've got a new blower motor and resistor to install once we've reviewed the tests.

Russ

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Default 2003 SIR same prob

Hi, new here... I have had the same prob with my 2003 Civic SiR for the last month.

I first noticed my car didn't have AC or heat the day after a really big rain storm.... was using the AC/defrost to keep the windshield clear... was hitting lots of big puddles which couldn't be helped, and I heard a loud noise like my exhaust manifold/downpipe was broken....

Next day, AC/ Heat didn't work at all... fan wouldn't come on.

So, I went to the wreckers and got a Acura RSX blower motor and hooked it up. It didn't fix the problem at all.

No fuses are blown, and no relays are visibly blown.

Then, unhooked the original blower motor and hooked it directly to the battery, and it spun for a sec.

Took the glove box off, and started looking around. Nothing seemed to be amiss. A few mechanically inclined people said it was the resistor/transistor that controls fan that is the prob. Going to take it to dealer on Saturday... hate to do that because it is expensive and don't trust them.

Also, took two pieces of wire and shoved it in to the 2P connector that is for the blower motor, and sparks came out. Don't know if this means anything.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Default Has anyone had any success doing this?

Originally Posted by RonJ

I know what to do, just don't want to rip out my dash board and crack the plastic... is it worth doing yourself, or leave it to the dealer???

Would like to know, as it is getting hot around here!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do it yourself. All the info you need can be found in this thread. Buy a multimeter and pinpoint the problem to avoid replacing expensive parts unnecessarily.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM

I paid $180 for a new fan motor (after tests indicated a failed motor). It worked for a while, then went kaput on Saturday. I finally installed the new power transistor that I had purchased and all seems to work properly. I even put re-installed my old fan.

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX AC-Heater Fan Problem