Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX AC-Heater Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:46 PM

New to the board, glad I signed up.

2003 Civic Hybird. AC/Heat stopped working a week ago. Bought digital multi-meter from radio shack. Tested connection at the fan—got "14.2" Thought that mean A.) Power to the fan, B.) Fan=bad.

Got a new fan in today. $60 bones. Hooked it up, same issue? Should I grab a resistor now? $56 from here ?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 AM

I purchase two resistor for my car and still didn't fixed the problem. Measure the resistance on the terminal resistor and if it checks out ok then it might be your fuse box.

I couldn't belive it was my fuse box but it was. I purchased one at a junk yard for $20.00 and it came out of a 2004 civic.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by soboba
I purchase two resistor for my car and still didn't fixed the problem. Measure the resistance on the terminal resistor and if it checks out ok then it might be your fuse box.

I couldn't belive it was my fuse box but it was. I purchased one at a junk yard for $20.00 and it came out of a 2004 civic.
Woa, you're talking about the entire fuse box? That just blew my mind (forgive the pun).

So basically, I'm only at the start of a wild goose chase? I told my wife I could fix this and save us money—since the new fan didn't solve it she wants me to take it to the dealer. Any votes on this?

And soboba, I'm sorry—can you explain what you mean by "terminal resistor?"

Thanks gents. I spend a lot of time on my truck forum but since the Honda's out of warranty at this point, maybe I'll starting reading up over here as well.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Usually the problem is the power transistor (which some parts suppliers insist on calling a "resistor"). If you have power on both fan terminals (with fan plugged in), it's getting power from the fuse box. The power transistor completes the ground circuit when commanded to by the control panel. Run the control panel self-test, posted earlier in this thread. It is probably going to come up code 12. If the panel doesn't respond the self test at all, it is likely dead, or one of the fuses feeding the control panel is blown.

If you have code 12, unplug the transistor and jumper the two big wires in the plug, the fan should come on full blast when you turn the key on. Passing that test, it should work normally once you put a new transistor in.