Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Civic, Cracked Engine Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Default 2006 Civic, Cracked Engine Block

holy cow right? thats what i said anyway. with 37k on it, dealership said they would cover it. from my understanding (as limited as it is) it cracked along the... water intake??

what happened you ask?? i drove her the 3 miles into work. i heart a really light ticking that could have been my imagination so i called my mechanic (years of working on our 97 accord... love him to pieces!!), left a message. he was out for the morning so i brought her back home and still heard the light ticking. when i pulled in the drive way my neighbor was home so i asked if i was crazy, he said nope, he hears it too... rev the engine just a touch so i took her just out of idle and the ticking accelerated. as we sat there talking about it i looked down and saw she was overheating. i coasted into the driveway just as the last bar ticked to H.

the dealership whispered something about a possible recall. talk to me folks... my baby is in the shop, pretty heart broken about this. Lorraine is dearly missed!! we are concerned about future problems, should we worry about other things going wrong because of this? i caught it before she really over heated (had a bar left before H) and i turned her off. considering all the parts of an engine are connected to other things, what other things should we worry about??

(for a girl whose daddy rebuilds cars from rust piles, i know very little about them other than to obey the blinking lights and maintain the light stuff/change the oil/check all fluids/tires/etc.... *sheepish*)

any thoughts??

-ashley

Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Default RE: 2006 Civic, Cracked Engine Block

sorry i guess i should have asked.... is this the right place for post this? i see remarkably little info (in my few minutes here) on 8th gen Hondas!

-ashley

Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Very unusual, maybeit wasn't cast correctly. Since the dealer is going to repair it, they will have the service records for your car if you have some other issues later down line. I used have a 91 Accord that had the dreaded distributor problem, the dealer replaced it about three times even though the last one was replaced around 95k miles.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

Did the engine have enough oil and coolant?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 AM

they are fairly sure it was a casting problem. hopefully the cars effected arent too numerous. there was no water in when i stopped it that second time. the oil was a touch low and ugly looking. honestly.... i think the transmission fluid looked like crap too. (i was chasing around two 2yo's at the time so forgive me if im wrong) ive been trying to think back over the last few days, did i see a huge puddle?? i *may* have at work that morning but we are remodeling the facilities so half the parking lot is ripped up, we've been getting a good bit of rain.... im not so sure i would ahve noticed a puddle, although i WOULD have noticed a green one. im that person who notices when tires are a few pounds down or there is a new 'barely dent' in the back passenger door...

Accord that had the dreaded distributor problem, the dealer replaced it about three times even though the last one was replaced around 95k miles.
we have also had insanely good customer service! with the run around it seems everyone else gets (my dads a Chevy guy... can i say that word here?? Chevrolet??) we were a little nervous about having to take her in but the guy just smiled and took care of it all. i was expecting her to be out for a week more at least but we should be getting a call within 3 days of showing up at the dealership. now nuts is that?!?!

-ash

Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 AM

also, i read through the sticky up there at the top.... how much is there to the whole breaking philosophy of ragging the snot out of it???

THANKS!!

-ash