Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 EX Overheated, now what

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Default 2006 EX Overheated, now what

I was on the way home from work the other day on the highway. All of a sudden my engine light came on. I looked and the coolent temp had pegged. I drove about a mile and pulled over, stopped at a safe pull over. I popped the hood, let it cool down. Coolent had boiled out, had my son bring some from home, added coolent. The coolent looks milky, do not see oil there. Went to check the oil, part of the dipstick melted.( It is plastic) After it cooled down, it went into a safe mode where you could not drive very fast. Tempuerature did not spike back up. Got home, drained coolent, added fresh. Drained oil, only about 1 quart remained! Put in new oil, and filter. Still does not overheat, but got an engine light flashing. Went got a code reader, it states misfire #2 cylinder, misfire number 3 cylinder. Goes into safe mode with engine light after a few minutes of starting, but does not overheat. Do not notice oil in cooling or vise versa. Any Thoughts on where to start?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2006 EX Overheated, now what

Yes, take it to the dealer for an in-warranty repair.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Compression test. I think you'll find cylinders 2 and 3 are dead because a leak has developed between them. A new head gasket may or may not fix it. My bet is on not, you'll need a new engine.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the input, would a compression test show any tales on that? I will let you know the results. looks grim.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
gwl
HCF Member

It could be the misfire due to coolant leaking inside the cyclinders causing the cel. Sounds like the thermostat got stuck or your cooling system sprung a leak causing your misfortunes. Hopefully, you're still in the warranty period in the mileage department. If you areclose, honda may still repair it under their goodwiill policy. If the dealer refuses, call American Honda and explain your predicament, this has worked for me in the past.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the goodwill suggestion. I still need to do the compression check this weekend. my neighbor who is a mechanic took a quick look, said the oil level was high, and it may have caused oil into the cylinder causing mis fires. i dont know if oil level is high due to water in there,( do not see any) butI drained about about half a quart. The new plastic Dipsticks are a bit confusing, as they do not have the standard lines. I guess as suggested on above thread the compression check will tell the tale. Thanks to all for taking the time on this. It didnt run hot all that long, but I guess aluminum blocks does has its drawbacks. does anyone know if the waterpump impellars are plastic or metal? It doesnt over-heat now, but still getting code. Although it takes longer to pop up after lowering the oil level. I tried disconnecting battery to clear the code...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

Maybe the block warped somehow.