Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

the civic overheated.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Default the civic overheated.....

well i'm pretty sure i know the problem. its the radiator overflow tank cap....i hope. when i popped the hood, thats where i saw steam shooting out. so i figure if i fix that and just throw on a new radiator cap, it should all be fixed.

so with that said, does anyone have a 92-95 radiator overflow tank thats in good condition and no leaks that they don't need?

i checked the oil, no mixing and no steam or coolant leaks anywhere else, so yea i think it will be an easy fix.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Default RE: the civic overheated.....

**This may or may not be your issue.**

I blew a head gasket many years ago on my 93. After several new thermostats and temp gage charges to the redline I finally concluded it was a leaky head gasket. When the temp gauge pushes towards the limit turn the heater to full heat and the fan to HIGH and save a warped head.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 AM

yea i know about turning the heater on and all. but i put more coolant in and turned the heater on full blast to make sure i got home (15 miles from where i was) safely. but like i said, i checked the oil and stuff- no coolant/oil mix. and also once i put in more coolant, it was working fine, so i know its not a clogged hose or a broken thermestat.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Sounds good so far. Keep on eye on the temp gauge just to be safe. Head gaskets leaks can be intermittent for whatever reason. Only way to tell for certain if a small amount of coolant is in the oil is to do an "oil analysis" take a sample and send it in to a lab. On my 93 the leak went from combustion chamber to the adjacent coolant area in the block. I never noticed any water/coolant in the oil.