Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2010 Honda Civic - Lost Power on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Default 2010 Honda Civic - Lost Power on Highway

Hello,

I recently inherited my Grandma's 2010 Honda Civic DX-G 4 door. It only has 44 000 km on it and has been taken care of well. About 2 weeks ago, I accidentally left the overhead light on overnight, and had to jump the battery the next day. Since then, when I turn on the headlights, all the interior lights (spedomoter, radio, etc.) get slightly dimmer. This hasn't been an issue though.

Yesterday, I took the car to get winter tires installed. They were installed and I drove the car home no problem. 2 hours later, I was on the highway going 110km/h when all of a sudden the digitial spedometer display/gas display/engine heat display went black. The RPM dash stayed lit, the air stayed on, and the radio stayed on. I was going down a hill, but realized I had no power and the engine had shut off I guess. Luckily, there was an exit off the highway, so I took it. As I did, the power steering stopped and even the brake didn't really work. The radio worked and the emergency flashers and signal indicator continued to work. I got to the side of the road and used the e-brake to stop. I shut the car off and made a few phone calls. 5 minutes later, I started the car and everything worked perfectly. I finished my drive (about 30 minutes) on the highway and parked the car with no issues. It was like it never happened.

I don't know much about cars. Please help. What is going on? I feel like a cable/wire or something somewhere is loose.

Please advise. Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Paul

Old 11-05-2015, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

the ECU mite have reset itself i have heard of newer models doing this which while moving would be scary. when the battery is removed or dies it resets the ECU which then needs to re-teach itself fuel curves. there is a procedure that needs to be done whenever you reset the computer to learn the ecu faster if you don't do it manually it can take days or weeks.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 11-05-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:07 AM

Thanks for your response!