Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

5th gear sliding back into neutral PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Default 5th gear sliding back into neutral PLEASE HELP!

Just purchased a 2001 Honda Civic EX 5 speed.
It has 122k on it.
When driving in 5th gear around 60 mph my clutch all of a sudden slips back into neutral.
Any idea what that problem could be?
I can hold the gear in 5th with a little bit of pressure and it rides fine but I feel some slight pressure like the car wants to go back into neutral when I am in 5th.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to anyone who can drop some knowledge on me I have no idea and I about lost my lunch because I literally just purchased this vehicle and I'm freaking out.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:37 AM
HCF Member

I had this same kind of problem years ago with a British sports car.
It had bad mount bushings, and the engine torque would chang the geometry of the shift linkage. With the brake on, have a helper engage the engine, and see if there is excess
movement of the engine, don't get run over.
Worn engine, or tranny mounts will cause problems. Also check the shift linkage for wear.
For a Honda, you have low miles, but if the owner beat it hard, you never know.
Dave

Old 10-12-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by me262dave
I had this same kind of problem years ago with a British sports car.
It had bad mount bushings, and the engine torque would chang the geometry of the shift linkage. With the brake on, have a helper engage the engine, and see if there is excess
movement of the engine, don't get run over.
Worn engine, or tranny mounts will cause problems. Also check the shift linkage for wear.
For a Honda, you have low miles, but if the owner beat it hard, you never know.
Dave
Any idea on how to check shift linkage? Or any idea of cost of a shop to check linkage / diagnose the problem?
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

He's saying to check the rubber bushings that hold the engine / transmission assembly to the car. Leave the hood open and watch from the side while someone tries to drive the car forward and backward, but hold the brakes on and use the parking brake so it doesn't actually move. If the engine jumps around a lot, that effect is going to pull on the shift linkage while you are driving and can pull it out of gear.

Edit: The 2001 uses two push-pull cables to transfer motion from the shift lever inside the car to the shift rod on the transmission instead of a soild rod under the car used on earlier models:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER
These cables can get worn, stretched, etc. and fail to put the transmission fully into gear. If you don't get the transmission to click into gear it is likely to drop out.
At the transmission end:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...-+SHIFT+HOLDER
In particular, the cable attached to part #6 causes that part to move the rod #10 up and down when the driver moves the lever inside the car forward and back to throw the transmission into each gear. With the engine off, have someone inside the car push the clutch down and shift into 5 and hold the lever there. Then under the hood, watch the lever 6 move and try to move it farther (some force will be required) to see if it will go farther and actually click the transmission into gear. If that is what is happening, something is worn or broken, either the cable or one of the bushings. I don't think the system is adjustable.

Last edited by mk378; 10-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.