Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 honda civic wont start pt II, found the problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 AM
HCF Member
Default 89 honda civic wont start pt II, found the problem

first before i start flappin my yap off about what i heard. id like to thank everyone whos helped me before with the looking for a spark clue and all the help theyve given me. i appreciate it so much and i plan to use this knowledge to help people here in the future. thanks again
but ive found a potential and the mechanic said he is 100 percent sure this is the problem and it should fire up and start as soon as i do this bu now how do i fix. i craigslisted on some professional help. he said the spark looked fine that that was enuff. i just may need a new ignition coil here soon. but he pried off the timing belt top cover. and i guess from popping the clutch so much (my alt went bad for those who hadnt seen the last post) the tensioner was getting loose and jumped out of time. and he said all i need to do is get those things aligned up. but how would i do that. i know how to take the valve cover off to get the lip of the top cover out, and im looking at schematics and found the loosening bolt and the tdc marks as he showed me. i watched him do all this stuff. and it makes things easier because i lost my wheel well on the highway back when i was with my ex fiancee 5 months ago lol. can anyone point me in the right direction again?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 89 honda civic wont start pt II, found the problem

Well if your timing has skipped, it may have damaged the valves in the engine. So even after you get it back in time it may not run.

To set it back in time, you need to loosen the tensioner and slip the belt so the cam timing marks line up. You should not be on TDC while turning the cam to slip the belt because the valves may crash. Turn the engine off of TDC, slip the belt, retension it, then turn back to TDC to check the marks. Do all this turning by hand and don't force anything so you don't damage the valves. Also use the single mark on the crank pulley to set TDC, not the set of 3.

If the engine is still good you should immediately put a new timing belt on. Don't run that old stretched out torn up belt any more.