Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine wont turnover/start ( battery/electrical problem?)

Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Default Engine wont turnover/start ( battery/electrical problem?)

So i tried jumping my friends old chevy truck with my 1993 hatch and ever since i did that about a week ago, my car slowly seemed to be losing power. every time i started it up it just seemed like the battery was taking longer and longer to start the car until finally it just would not start. i was not home at the time and asked for a jump, still no luck. so i pop started it and no problems, i drove it home and parked it where it sits now. i trickle charged the battery and used the battery tester, and its fine. I still get power to the lights, radio, etc but the engine will not turn over. i replaced the positive side terminal because it was a bit corroded and still no luck. i dont know what to do next so i was hoping someone on here could offer some suggestions. please let me know, thanks

Old 05-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure the charging system is working. With the engine running and no other electrical stuff on, the voltage at the battery should be about 14 volts. Have the battery load-tested. The load testing machine draws a heavy current out of the battery to simulate starting and measures the voltage. Just measuring the voltage under no load is not a very good test. Many chain parts stores will do both of these tests for free. You can also do the load test at home. Measure battery voltage at the lead posts, not the terminals while someone turns the key to engage the starter. A good result is more than 9 volts. If the battery voltage doesn't drop much if at all when trying to start, there is a bad connection somewhere or possibly a bad starter.