Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

90 civic starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Default 90 civic starting problems

I have a 90 civic lx that runs great but lately it's been starting weird. I'll turn the key and it fires and starts and then dies right away, if i push on the gas and then start it, the car will run. It always takes a few tries. Can anyone help?

THanks

Old 12-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Default RE: 90 civic starting problems

Could be any number of things. Clogged fuel filter, poor tuning, electrical issues, ignition, or even emission control. The list could go on but we need a little bit of info from you. What have you done so far, ie, tune up or anything else? If you let us know somethings you've already tried maybe someone here could help pinpoint an area for you to look at. Also does the car have any issues when engine is at speed, is it difficult to maintain a certain rpm? Anyhow if you can drop a lil more info maybe we could help.

Good luck

Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Cat Fuсker

simples checklist to do first: 1. air filter check, 2. check ground connections in the engine bay for ..umm...connections and corrosion, 3. pull your spark plugs and see if they're in bad shape.

also if it's cold, it could be a symptom of a quitting battery

Old 12-12-2005, 07:10 AM

HI, thanks for the quick reply. As far as stuff i've already done. It just started doing it on a regular basis about a week ago so i've done nothing yet. It only did it a couple times earlier in the fall. I left my lights on and my battery died and then it started doing it almost every time. There is corosion on the battery terminals. I also live in Michigan, it's been around 15 degrees the past week. As far as engine speed isssues. There are none, it runs great on the highway, it'll cruise at 80 the entire time. The check engine light will come on during long trips and then when i restart my car the light will turn off. Also the car accelerates great from a stand still, but if i'm driving and let my foot of the gas and then push down again my engine surges (sorry it's hard to explain) It's been doing it for 4 years the mechanics can never get it to do it. It might be unrelated but if someone could help me with that, it would be appreciated also. My fuel pump runs when i turn on the ignition so i know it's not that. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Zach

Old 12-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Go to your left front kick (beside your feet left side). Remove the panel and access the infamous "MAIN RELAY". It is high up and close to the door. Remove it using a 10mm and take it inside where it is warm. If you have a wrecking yard nearby and they do not want an arm and a leg for the part - go get another one. I would not pay $10.00 for a used one.

I have READ that simply resoldering the board will resolve the problem. I have pryed the black cover off the relay board (it's easy - just use a screw driver). Try the resoldering thing if you are handy. There are only a couple of dozen connections. Be sure to use resin core solder and enough heat so the solder flows. Replace it and try the car again. Bet you it'll start.