Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 1.5 doesn't start. No spark, ECU shows code 16, new relay & distributor. what now?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Default 91 1.5 doesn't start. No spark, ECU shows code 16, new relay & distributor. what now?

I have a 91 hatchback (1.5) that I just finished with a head gasket. Also put on a new distributor (I had issues with the old one, but nothing serious. I just decided to start fresh). Put it all back together and wouldn't start. There was spark, so I checked the timing. Turns out I had the timing off, so after I corrected that I tried again and it still wouldn't start. Now there is no spark. The check engine light turns off after a couple seconds, but turns back on the second I try to start the car (and will stay on after that). My ECU flashes 16 times, which most internet searches suggested was caused by faulty relay. Replaced relay. Still nothing.

Also both old and new relay buzz for a quick second when I put the key into the first position. The fuel pump also makes a quick buzz noise, but not like the hum it used to. I checked and double checked all my wire connections, nothing seems to be shorting, and everything else seems to be firmly plugged in. I even tried switching back in my old distributor but nothing. I am at my wits end to figure out why I'm not getting spark. Maybe a bad ECU? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check ground wires on the thermostat housing, they ground the whole ECU system. Main relay should not buzz, it should click on, two seconds later click off. That has nothing to do with the distributor.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM

mk378, thankyou thankyou thankyou! While I did have the ground attached, it wasn't very tight, plus there was a lot of dirt and oil on the spot it was screwed too. Cleaned it up, tightened it back down, and started right up! thank you again! I thought I was going crazy.