Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 Civic EF Sedan - Intermittent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Alright I checked all battery leads and grounds... every thing is clean a pretty.

So now i need to look at the starter solenoid?.... awesome. Best approach is to take the starter out and then take apart the solenoid?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

you can take it apart (anything can be done) but its a pain in the ***. its a cylinder piece of metal that looks like a cup (they add in the rotor and the asspiece (lol i dont know the correct term for it) and the terminals and use a machine to bend the (lip part) of the cup to keep the guts inside and you have to find something (large visegrips) to peel the metal back to expose the internals, then when your done you need to seat everything back in the correct way then bang the lip back in so it stays together. its a pain in the *** but isnt a starter at a junkyard like 15 bucks? they mark the part and if it dont work you can pick another one? they usually have a battery chillin out front charged for testing purposes (if it performs properly the gear should pop out and spin pretty fast upon connecting it) ive ventured tearing apart mine on my crx. its going to **** but its still alive. i better stfu lol it could drop a epic shyt on me tomorrow for all we know. and its the post terminals that protrude thru the plastic cap that get focked up. since most d series parts are interchangable how bout starters? mainly from d16y8s or y7s because their the newest?