Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 CRX Si power steering conversion. Pulley problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Default 91 CRX Si power steering conversion. Pulley problem.

I have converted the steering on my 91 CRX SI to power steering. My CRX handles great when moving but is a bitch to turn when not moving, like parking. Besides, I like the power steering on my 96 Del Sol VTEC. I'm 60 yrs old this year and after owning (2) 91 CRX Sis I decided to convert this one to power steering.

I got the power setup off of a 90-91 Civic 4WD wagon at my local U-Pull-It and everything bolted onto the CRX just like it was made for it. The problem came when I needed to add the pulley for the extra pump belt. I have had trouble finding a 3 step pulley that fits my D16A6 engine. I have found a lot of pulleys for a D15B2 16 valve engine which looks just like my D16A6 but the crank size is slightly smaller and the weight of the pulley is about half of the 2 step pulley on the CRX Si (6.4 lbs vs 3.43 lbs).

I can turn the pulley on my lathe and resize the hole to fit the bigger shaft on the CRX Si but I'm a bit concerned about the pulley weight. I figure that the extra weight is to smooth out torque changes to the engine on idle and adding an extra pump, especially one that will get the most workout during slower speeds (like parking) might really affect smooth idling.

I'm headed back to the PikNPull to see if I can find a 1986–89 Acura Integra. Wikipedia says that they have the D16 engine and most probably have PS.

If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this subject I would appreciate the input.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Just got back from the Pick&Pull. Checked out the Acura's and no love there. The Acura has a DOHC engine just like the one I wish I had in my CRX. I guess a bit more studying is in order. Does anyone know where I can get some information about the diameter of the crank shaft end where the pulley mounts for different Honda's. The Accord looked like a possible match but the dia. was 29.7 mm, too large.

I'll keep looking or just give up, break-out the lathe and machine the hole from the H15 pulley to the correct diameter.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I thought all the D series engines are internally balanced, so the weight of the pulley doesn't matter.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM

That would be great if true. Maybe someone else can confirm this fact for us.

I went back to the Pick&Pull yesterday and got what I thought was a good match. I was photoing it for this blog when the ugly truth was revealed. The shaft is the correct diameter but the spacing of the pulleys is way off. The new pulley (harmonic balancer, as I was corrected by the wrecking yard person) was from an 88 Acura Integra. I thought that this would be a good match as I believe that the engine blocks are the same except for the DOHC. Wrong! Because of the DOHC, the placement of the Air cond. pump, alternator and PS pump are slightly different. The HB (harmonic balancer) on the Integra is thinner than the CRX Si so none of the pumps/belts line up. So back to plan B.

I give up and am going to machine out the HB from the 1.5L engine. It looks like everything fits perfectly, except the inside diameter of the hole where it fits over the crank. Other than that, it is a perfect match. I think my machining skills are up to the task. I just need to make sure that the HB is chucked up perfectly in the lathe before I ream it out.

The weight of the HB is close to that of the Integra HB so I am more confident that the weight difference is not as signifigant as I had feared. Time will tell because I am out of inspiration and known options, having checked every HB that I could get my hands on. Turning the 1.5l HB is my only option at this time. I can always change it out at a later date if I find a better option. Suggestions gladly accepted.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
HCF Member

i used a harmonic balancer off of a 92-95 civic on my civic wagon rt4wd. the timing marks are different though. i also had to change the pulley on the power steering pump because the 92-95 is different.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Does your 90 4WD wagon have the 1600 engine? I tried a pulley off of a DOHC 1600 with the same crank but the belts didn't line up with the pump alternator and air. I was going to change out the one mismatched belt & pulley until I found that the different pulleys didn't line up. It might still have worked but would have put a strain on the bearings and would have caused increased wear on the belts.

The pump and rack and pinion assembly that I added came off of a 90-91 Civic 4WD Wagon and everything fit perfectly. The Wagon had a 1600cc engine. Too bad I broke the pulley assembly removing it. That's when I found how easy it is to chip the inside edge of the pulley if you are not careful prying it off the engine. I wouldn't mind a later model harmonic balancer if the crank fits and the belts line up.

In the mean time I just about have my lathe set up to machine the 1500 pulley to fit my 1600. I have had the lathe for 6 years and due to a massive remodel on my house I haven't had the time or room to set it up until I finished the new shop. I only got into this project because I had to replace my right front (outside) CV boot so it seemed like a good time to install the power steering while I had the front end partially disassembled. Setting up the machine shop was just an unexpected part of the project.

Last edited by MisterFixIt1952; 07-01-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

my wagon does have a d16a6 stock block 1.6 with a d16z6 sohc head.