Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 integra overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:07 PM
HCF Member
Default 91 integra overheating

ok i bought a 91 integra with a blown head gasket and replaced it and drove the car for about 2 weeks doing 2, 30 mile trips a day and a couple hour drive trips with no problem at all. yesterday it heated up just as i got home so i let it cool and took it for another small drive to see if it would do it again and it did, i noticed the coolant was leaking at the radiator cap so i got a new cap and it was still leaking there and over heating so i changed the thermostat and nothing changed still, tomorrow im going to flush the radiator with a hose to make sure its not blocked. another thing is that even when the car is starting to overheat if i turn the heat is its cold, any ideas? thanks a ton

Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Was the head resurfaced prior to replacing the head gasket?

Thoroughly bleed the cooling system. Sounds like air is trapped in the system.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the cap off then start the engine and rev it, if a bunch of bubbles of gas blow out the gasket is probably leaking again, or there is a crack in the engine, etc.

When that happens, the gas will displace the coolant out of the engine even if you started with it completely full, and it will overheat.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 AM
HCF Member

the head was resurfaced, im gonna flush the system in a little bit and ill bleed it again and try to rev it up to see if anything is leaking, thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

i flushed the radiator and now it takes a little longer but it still over heats and leaks coolant out of the cap once it gets to high temp, the coolant doesnt look as if it is flowing past the radiator cap, does it normally on b18s? could the water pump be bad? i was assuming it was good because it was replaced about 10k miles ago i was told but did sit for about a year before i bought it, i looked at the outside of it and it looked as if it had been replaced so i never did it when i did the headgasket

Old 03-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the lower radiator hose remain cool when the upper is hot?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

im not sure, ill check to see if the lower hose stays cold tomorrow

i found this forum and on post #8 the person mentions taking out the thermostat and seeing if he can get coolant to come out of the bottom hose, does that mean take out the thermostat, put the hoses back on, take the lower hose off the radiator and start the car to see if coolant is being pushed through the system correct? im going to try and remove the thermostat tomorrow anyways and double check its working on the stove so ill try that while im at it and see it the car over heats with the thermostat out

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...ht=overheating

Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Chubby Chaser

are your fans coming on???

Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can run without a thermostat as a test.

While you have it open pour water into the top of the radiator to see that it comes out the bottom immediately. You can also flush bottom to top to try and clean out the radiator.

Do not start the engine unless the system is closed up and full. Damage will occur rapidly running even idling with no coolant in the engine.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

fans are working fine, i tested the thermostat and its opened in almost boiling water so its good, right now im running the car without it though and it seems that it wont over heat but i have only let it sit and idle and driven only 10 miles, tomorrow im going to take it to work, 30 miles and see what happens, the worse i see happening is that it over heats and i sit on the side of the road for a half hour and go back home after it cools

Quick Reply: 91 integra overheating