Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Civic. Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Default 92 Civic. Blown Head Gasket

This car has a different engine (civic engine) with 92k mi. Everything was fine, then the engine started heating up while driving. I was on the highway so couldn't pull over immediately but it was on high for less than a min. I pulled over and added antifreeze. It drove fine for a couple days then smoke came out of the exhaust.

I was told the head gasket cracked and antifreeze is going into the oil.

Here is my question. Can I just replace the head gasket & change the oil?

The place I took it to recommended replacing the whole engine. Are they being over cautious? I find it hard to believe a little anti freeze in the engine would end the whole engine. I don't really drive it hardly at all until I make a decision. But I drove it to the store yesterday and it seemed fine. I can't believe the engine is done. Is there a way to flush the engine or something? The 'diagnostic' cost $80. I don't even want a second opinion unless it is worth it.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
July 2010 ROTM

dont drive it anymore if at all possible. personally, i wouldnt replace the engine unless the block is cracked. buy a top end gasket kit, timing belt, and water pump. set aside a day to pull the head. you can take a straight edge and some feeler gauges to determine if the head is warped. if not, do the top end and button it all back up. if it is indeed warped (which i would imagine it is since u continue to drive it), take it to a machine shop and have it planed. the cost shouldnt break the bank. then, button it all back up and enjoy ur new extra 2hp from the compression you just gained. easy peasy man, i promise.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

It is likely you have a blown head gasket. You wouldn't need new/another engine from what I read your post. You may want to change water pump and all of belts while you are there doing the work....

Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 AM

I agree with both posts - but if you aren't mechanically savvy, have a machine shop check the head for you. If you replace the gasket without checking the head for warpage, and it turns out to be warped, then you will blow the new head gasket before you pull out of the driveway... Might as well have the machine shop check the head for stress cracks too - they could be problematic and hard to find with the naked eye.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Thank you all for the advice. Now I have a better idea what to ask for.