Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'92 Civic DX Cooling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Default '92 Civic DX Cooling Problems

Hello everyone,

I have a 1992 Civic DX that is having some issues with cooling. After driving for a decent amount of time, there is steam coming from around the radiator and overflow reservoir. I haven't been able to figure out exactly where it's coming from, but it seems that water might be leaking from the reservoir cap/hose, and hitting something hot, turning it into steam.

I was running it earlier today, and I noticed that neither the radiator fan, or, what I'm assuming is either the auxiliary or oil cooling fan, were running. I know some aux/oil fans don't run continuously, but I'm almost positive the radiator fan should.

It's really odd because I'll drive let's say 15 miles to my girlfriend's house, park for a couple hours (plenty of time to cool completely), and drive 15 miles home later, and it blows off steam then. I don't understand why it wouldn't on the first 15 mile drive?

Also, my temp gage sits at a little under half most of the time, but I notice after I've been driving it long enough to expect the steam, it'll rise to half, or almost 3/4. It'll also sit a little under half while I'm driving, and jump suddenly to 3/4 when I come to a stop (which makes sense because the air would be cooling it when I'm moving).

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before, or has enough knowledge to offer some insight as to what it may be exactly. My guess is either the loose overflow reservoir cap/hose, the non-operational fans, or a combination of the two.

If anyone knows where to find a good service manual for a 1992 Honda Civic DX, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 AM
HCF Member

It could be the thermal fan switch, especially if after getting home, you can see that the fan is not on, even after the gauge is past the halfway mark.
If your fan were working, I would suggest replacing the radiator cap, since if that doesn't hold pressure (about 13 psi), your engine would run hot/leak coolant.

Try to find a factory service manual on ebay. That's how I found mine.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 AM

I don't know where to post a new post;

My car: 2001 Honda Civic Ex;

Problem: Radiator leaking;

I replaced with new radiator and new radiator fan; But still I see something is leaking and the temperature gauge is going really way up to the red mark;

What might be the reason.

Thanks

Macha

Old 05-16-2011, 05:08 PM

UPDATE:

So I did some messing around and it turns out that the leak is in the coolant overflow reservoir cap. I took it out, filled it with water, and turned it upside down with the cap on tight, and water came out at a steady pace. So problem solved there; I ordered another reservoir.

Also, the second fan that wasn't working that I assumed to be an auxiliary or oil cooling fan turned out to be a condenser fan. It works when I turn my AC on.

Unfortunately, I still have one other problem. My radiator fan isn't getting power. I checked the fuse and it is in good condition, so I undid the power connector for the fan, turned the power on, and tested it with a multimeter and got nothing.

I am unsure about what to do about this. It sounds like it could be a short in the wire harness, but I don't know. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

Your radiator fan gets power from a thermal switch. If the switch is bad, it won't send 12V to the fan. You might want to replace the switch.

Macha,

Did you check the thermostat housing gasket for leaks? You may also have a stuck thermostat which will quickly overheat an engine. Sometimes a coolant system tester comes in handy. It attaches to the radiator opening and pressurizes the cooling system to normal pressure (about 13 psi) so that leaks can be seen.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Hello
Thanks for your reply.
Actually I went to Auto service center to replace those parts; But I am not satisfied with his work. Yes, he checked with system tester and the pressure is not dropping; So can I assume there is no leaks;
I am not sure whether he checked 'thermostat housing gasket' or not; But he is saying that new radiator cap can help to keep the temperature down. Is
that true. or shall I ask him to check 'thermostat housing gasket' first?

Thanks,
Macha.

Did you check the thermostat housing gasket for leaks? You may also have a stuck thermostat which will quickly overheat an engine. Sometimes a coolant system tester comes in handy. It attaches to the radiator opening and pressurizes the cooling system to normal pressure (about 13 psi) so that leaks can be seen

Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 AM
HCF Member

If the temperature gauge is heading toward the red mark (past the 5/8 - 3/4 mark), then I suspect a stuck thermostat or failed radiator fan switch. If there are no leaks when the system is pressure-tested, then I'm sure the thermostat housing gasket is okay. A bad radiator cap could cause overheating by not maintaining proper pressure in the cooling system.
Are you still seeing a coolant leak on the ground?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 AM

Hello,
Yes, the temperature gauge is going past 3/4 mark within a small distance, say 1.0 mile in local roads.
I have a feeling that there is a leak. But when checked, there is no pressure drop. Am I sensing wrongly?
Does radiator fan really that helpful to reduce the temperature from 3/4 to 2/5?
I will change the radiator cap and give a try.

Thanks,
Macha.

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
If the temperature gauge is heading toward the red mark (past the 5/8 - 3/4 mark), then I suspect a stuck thermostat or failed radiator fan switch. If there are no leaks when the system is pressure-tested, then I'm sure the thermostat housing gasket is okay. A bad radiator cap could cause overheating by not maintaining proper pressure in the cooling system.
Are you still seeing a coolant leak on the ground?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 AM
HCF Member

The radiator fan reduces coolant temps during idle or slow-moving conditions, not on the open road (when there is plenty of airflow to the radiator). Do you know how to replace your thermostat? It could be stuck closed or partially open. They are not expensive and are replaced by removing the thermostat housing cover (normally 2 bolts), removing the old thermostat and gasket, and replacing them, making sure the thermostat is facing the right direction.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Hello,
I got the bad news from auto service center.
He is saying that there might be a problem in the engine as everything looks pretty normal. "there is lot of carbon is emitting from the engine" he says.
Can that happens?

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
The radiator fan reduces coolant temps during idle or slow-moving conditions, not on the open road (when there is plenty of airflow to the radiator). Do you know how to replace your thermostat? It could be stuck closed or partially open. They are not expensive and are replaced by removing the thermostat housing cover (normally 2 bolts), removing the old thermostat and gasket, and replacing them, making sure the thermostat is facing the right direction.

Last edited by memacha; 05-18-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: '92 Civic DX Cooling Problems