Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Civic having trouble

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Default 92 Civic having trouble

Hi there,

Having problems with my girlfriends car heard that this is the place to go for some help. So it's a 92 civic HB 1.5l. It runs great but sometimes the fuel pump cuts out while driving but mostly on start up, sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't. Usually when the car is cold it starts fine. I turn the ignition to on and sometimes you can hear the fuel pump running and sometimes it won't run. The fuel pump sounds normal, when it works, not loud or anything. I took it out today and ran it off the battery sounds normal and spat fuel every which way. I also tried soldering the main relay, it didn't fix the problem so I just replaced it with a new one. Still not fixed. I took apart the ignition switch, it looked a little worn but nothing serious. One weird thing is that when I turn the ignition switch to the on position, to listen for the pump, I can hear the shift lock relay clicking on and off, it's an automatic. Maybe a short or something? I'm at a loss of what to do next. A little off topic after this problem started I also changed the distributer cap and rotter along with the air filter. The car runs great except for the fact that the fuel pump kicks in and out for some strange reason. Please help and thanks I'll keep updating as the help arrives.

P.S. I also tried wiggling wires and unplugging them as I turned the car over. nothing

Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Default RE: 92 Civic having trouble

BUMP. Please help

Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

Check the fuel filter. It could be clogged, and if you have a guage check the fuel pressure too. If its a 92 its probably got a ton of miles on it. You can find a replacement fuel pump online, they range from $100 - 250. Or you could try a scrap yard. I'd go with checking the fuel filter first. If your a DIY kinda guy you could pull the pump out and inspect it. It's not hard to get to, but if its going out I don't know if there is a way to recondition it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: EJ8_Man

Check the fuel filter. It could be clogged, and if you have a guage check the fuel pressure too. If its a 92 its probably got a ton of miles on it. You can find a replacement fuel pump online, they range from $100 - 250. Or you could try a scrap yard. I'd go with checking the fuel filter first. If your a DIY kinda guy you could pull the pump out and inspect it. It's not hard to get to, but if its going out I don't know if there is a way to recondition it.
I forgot to mention that I did change the fuel filter and pulled the pump out of the tank. I hooked it up to the battery and it sounded great, spat fuel all over the place. I kinda don't think it's the fuel pump but the wiring somewhere just not sure where to start. Thanks though. Any other ideas?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Sounds like a bad ignition switch.

I'll check this for sure tomorrow, I did open up the ignition switch mechanism. It looked a bit worn but the continuity check should be quick, simple and decisive.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

At this point since you've ruled out the main relay I'd just replace the fuel pump. It's a DC motor and when the brushes wear out it will get intermittent before going fully dead. There's also a remote chance that it's a loose fuse or wire. If the lights on the dash come on when you turn the key on, the key switch is OK.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM

Does anyone by chance know which fuse is for the fuel pump? I guess there isn't a fuel pump relay. Thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If an important main relay/fuel pump fuse were blown, then the engine would not run at all.

Fuses 18, 31, and 32.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

If an important main relay/fuel pump fuse were blown, then the engine would not run at all.

Fuses 18, 31, and 32.
True I was just hoping for a loose connection maybe. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Civic having trouble