Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Nim
Default 93 Civic Clutch issue

Hi guys, i have a 93 honda civic 4dr andd recently it started giving issue with the clutch. This problem is not there all the time but sometimes when i fully press the clutch paddle, the clutch wouldnt fully engage(disconnect the connection between the engine and the gearbox). It feels like 50% clutch engagement, and when this happens i cant shift gears unless i turn the engine off. Sometimes this problem goes away almost instantly when i press the clutch several times, but sometimes it stays for like 5 minutes and then goes away.

What could be the problem?

EDIT: can has 205000km on the clock..

Any reply appreciated..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. This is the little cylinder and reservoir on the firewall next to the big one for the brakes. Refill it only with DOT3 brake fluid. Any other substance will cause severe damage.

If it was out, look for the leak. Usually it's the master cylinder, or the slave. Leakage from the master will generally run down the firewall on the inside under the dash. Leakage from the slave will show up under the rubber boot on the piston rod (you will also need to remove the big rubber boot first).

If you had adequate fluid, the symptoms you have suggest air in the lines, or (since no one has done anything recently that would let air get into the lines) a bad clutch master cylinder.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Nim

hi thanks for the reply mk378..i check my clutch fluid and it was very old and dirty. So i bled the whole system and filled it up with new DOT3 brake fluid. Problem gone and now the clutch has a very good feel compared to what it was before the flush..thanks for the support..