Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 civic ex auto wont start...well when it wants to

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Default 93 civic ex auto wont start...well when it wants to

Ive had this car for the past 5yrs. during that time, every blue moon, it wouldnt start. rarely ever happend. the car has 222k miles and is automatic. during the past two months, its been happening more frequently. had a mechanic look at it, and was told it was my battery. went out bought a new battery from Autozone paid about 100 for it. drove around all day it was fine. later on at night, i went to go start it, and it didnt start. turned the key a second time, and it started. drove about 2-3miles, went into the shop, in and out, tried to start it and it wouldnt. finally after messging about wiht the gear shift it started. just recently had an oil change done, my spark plugs were cleaned new oil filter.
Please help.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM

One of the most common problems with this generation is the main relay. When it won't start next time, you should turn the key to the accessory position (when the dash lights come on) and listen for a low hum from the back seat. That's the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear that, it's a good sign that it's the main relay not sending power to the fuel pump.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it doesn't start, does the engine turn like it's trying to start, or does nothing happen when you turn the key?

In the latter case, and you can resolve it by moving the gearshift handle, that's a problem with the interlock switch. The switch is designed to disable the starter unless the handle is on P or N.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Right on. Funny you said that, because yesterday when it wouldnt start for a few minutes, at one point, I did notice the dash lights on and I did hear like a very low hum/mechanical noise. it was very low and distant, like it wasnt coming from the engine. If I have my mechanic check my main relay, what are things to look out for?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't think it is the main relay then. With a bad main relay you will hear the normal loud sound of the starter turning and trying to start, but the engine won't actually fire up. If you hear little or nothing-- it is something else such as the starter, interlock switch or ignition switch.

The sound you heard was probably the fuel pump which is inside the gas tank under the back seat. It runs all the time the engine is supposed to be running but normally you don't hear it because of the noise from the engine.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
I don't think it is the main relay then. With a bad main relay you will hear the normal loud sound of the starter turning and trying to start, but the engine won't actually fire up. If you hear little or nothing-- it is something else such as the starter, interlock switch or ignition switch.

The sound you heard was probably the fuel pump which is inside the gas tank under the back seat. It runs all the time the engine is supposed to be running but normally you don't hear it because of the noise from the engine.

I have my mechanic coming out in a bit. If it's my starter what noices would I look out for? Or say it is my ignition switch are there any noices?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Thx for all your advice. My mechanic came out to fix my car. I went to go start the car with the hope that it wouldn't start, so that he could see for himself sure enough the car starts, however I shut it off and went to restart it and it didn't, for a few times. He determined that it was the starter. Took my core and had it rebuilt for $35. Mechanic put it on, power cleaned the engine with some cleaner and rinsed it with water from a pressure hose. He then asked me to turn the car on, and wouldn't you have it, it didn't start until after four attempts. He said it was because the "grounds" were wet. In any event, I drove the car around in heavy traffic, made multiple stops and the car started fine every time. I guess I'm still a bit nervous because the car failed to start right after he pressure cleaned the engine. Is that typical? Before the rebuilt starter the car would start when it wanted to, and it was strting to happen more frequently. Would it be safe to say that if I can go all week and it starts right away, that the problem is fixed?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 AM
HCF Member

Hmmm....he shouldn't have sprayed it with a pressure hose because the pressure could have knocked a wire out. He should have just a regular garden hose. About the grounds being wet...I don't think that's true. I wash my engine plenty of times & it starts up when wet. Matter fact you might wanna check all the connectors & wires to make sure none are out of place.
I would give it a couple weeks to see if everything is fine with it.