Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic dx speedometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Default 94 civic dx speedometer problems

when this person i bought the car from installed this motor he did not hood up the speedo correctly. So there for I can not drive it when sitting still it fluctuates from 0-130. How do i fix this so it tells my true speed, so I can drive it. I'm kinda new the whole honda sceen so I dont know anything where does the wire connect to and what is the wires color if anyone knows. Thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 PM

anyone

Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by poizun
anyone
this is not instant messenger

a fluctuating speedo would prove that it is in fact hooked up to something, but possibly the cluster or the VSS is malfunctioning.

P.S. your sig is way bigger than allowed
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=34089

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-09-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 PM

Not a lot of people are online at night. It may be a few hours.

Check the wires on your Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). It's on the top of your transmission and should be the only thing with wires attached to your transmission. Trace those wires as far as you can and look for damage. Has the gauge cluster been modified? You might want to check the plugs on the back of it too.

One of the guys may drop by later with a helpful diagram. If you don't want to wait, you can do some research for yourself. Here is a link to the service manual for your Civic. If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, this will be of GREAT help to you. Many users on this forum reference these manuals and save themselves a lot of money on labor costs.
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto...e%20Manual.zip

Old 01-09-2009, 11:44 PM

Thank you guys very much for the assistance it is greatly appreciated. My next question does that car have a governor and if it does how do i over ride it to my vehicle wont stop a t a set speed

Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM

governor is 120mph and i'm not going to tell you how to disable it because you have no reason to go that fast

even on a drag strip it won't matter because you'll probably never get a trap speed near 120mph

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM

quick question....

what's up with your garage man?
says you have type r internals... if that engine in your sig is the engine you have now, there's no way you have type r internals

Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Also check the ground wires on the thermostat housing. Often they are messed up while swapping the engine. If they are loose you have a lot of electrical problems such as the speedometer jumping up and down.

Does the odometer roll up miles even though you're sitting still? Does it properly count miles while you're driving? This will help to differentiate between a sensor or wiring problem and a problem with the speedometer itself.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM

the odometer does not roll up in miles it correctly counts but the speedo jumps between o-130 when the vehicle is on

Old 01-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like your speedometer/odometer unit is defective then. Both parts run on the same signal from the sensor. The odometer part works but the speed needle doesn't. You can replace the whole instrument cluster or take the cluster apart and just change out the speedometer/odometer.

Quick Reply: 94 civic dx speedometer problems