Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 Civic Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Default '94 Civic Speedometer

Well, let me just say I am new here, been in an Auto Forums for a long time, but not this one. And it was for a different car too! My hawt Aurora!.

Ok, so I am helping this girl get her car fixed up, she got it a while back and is getting sick of it. It's a black '94 Honda Civic DX. The car has a lot of problems with it but so far I have fixed a lot too.

She got hit a while back and when some stupid dip opened the door, they jamed the wheel peice in where the door opens. Well I fixed that (still needs paint). Then I went and fixed the turning signals, tail lights, headlights, checked for leaks, checked the over-heaint issue, cleaned it out, and checked the speedometer issue.

So, my problems are 1. The speedomter and 2. Radiator Fans.

So first....
I noticed the speedometer didn't work and it hasn't worked since she got the car. I have checked the speed sensor on the transmission, took it out cleaned it, and re-greased it, I have checked my fuses, I have checked the general wiring, and I have taken apart the dash and everything checks out there. Why doesn't the speedometer work. Another thing, the trip-meter doesn't work either, but the odometer is just fine. Another thing is the speedometer is now stuck in 20 (prolly cuz I put it together wrong).
and Two. I noticed none of the radiator fans are running, like I said I have checked all the fuses under the steering wheel and they all check out. I also checked the plugs for them and they are fine. The car has an overheating issue and this is probably the cause of it. What is a way I can test this, should I take my battery charger and put it in ten amp charge and hook it up to the connections to the fans, or are the fuses in the engine (like my Aurora, there are fuses in the engine compartment, along with under the backseat and under the steering wheel).

Thanks ahead of time for helping me with these problems.... I just want this car up and running for her, she deserves better than the condition it's in now. It needs a new paint job, new rear fender, new right rear wheel cover, new paseenger door, a whole lot of stuff...

Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Default RE: '94 Civic Speedometer

The only thing I can say anything on is the speedometer. They are known to go in these cars. What you will need to do is go to the junkyard and get a new instrument cluster. Thats what I did with mine and I was back in business in no time!! As to you saying she has a lot of problems with her car, I also do with mine and a couple of them are expensive ones to get fixed. But rest assured, these cars are honestly worth it to fix up because they will last even longer. Knew a friend that had a 95 civic just like mine that went over 500,000 mi on origional engine and tranny and he only got rid of it because it overheated and blew some seals I think and it wasnt worth fixing.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

need to hook current directly to the fan.
find the connector, if one wire then that is the hot wire;
if not, determine positive and neg and hook directly from battery

Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Well, i checked things and took the dash apart and what not and I have created another problem. The speedo is on 0mph, then when I start the car the speedo then jumps to about 21mph. Is this truly a sign of a broken speedo, or does it still show that it has life? If it does this, then could it be the wiring or further proves I need a new gauge cluster. I just found out they are lending the car for me for a week longer to fix some stuff so I have more time to elaborate on these such problems.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

my car is older so i do not have that speed sensor (i least i think that i do not).
is there not some electrical test of that sensor.
there has been quite a few posts here of the sensor being bad and needing replacement

Old 02-14-2007, 11:28 PM

I have already looked at and re-greased the speed sensor and checked the connections and everything is just fine... but then again, it could be the speed sensor, I just want to know before I go out and blow 100 for either a gauge cluster or sensor...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 AM
HCF Member

replace the cluster first. its the cheapest, u can find them used on the net. as for the radiator fan, its more than likely the fan switch, it should be found in the fuse box in the engine compartment, OR, near the fan. get a manual for the car and find out that way. the actual fans on the car dont normally fail themselves, its always something in betweeen. good luck.