Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic Vx Chech Engine Light Flickers & Hums

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Default 94 Civic Vx Chech Engine Light Flickers & Hums

Hello Everyone:

I've just finished installing my clutch to my 94 Honda Civic Vx when recently, I've come upon another problem. After putting everything back together, I'm noticing that the check engine light flickers, hums and the won't won't start.

Instead of trying to describe the problem, I've decided to upload two videos.

The first video involves what's happening when I've got the key in the ignition and attempt to start the car. If you pay close enough attention to the video at the 14 second mark, you can hear a persistent humming noise (i.e. the so called ticking noise) and see the check engine light flickering intermittently.

The second video depicts what I have going on in the engine bay.

Thank you...

Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

Have you checked the main relay for the fuel pump? They are known for cold solder cracks. If you haven't reflowed the solder, I would start there. The ticking noise kind of sounds like your fuel pump continuously running.

Have you checked to see if there are any codes thrown? That will usually happen if the check engine light stays on.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Ground wires. The 4 or so little wires that go to a bolt on the thermostat housing ground the ECU and all engine systems. It is very common to forget to put those back on. Also make sure the big ground wire that goes from the battery to the frame and transmission is tight on both points.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
Have you checked the main relay for the fuel pump? They are known for cold solder cracks. If you haven't reflowed the solder, I would start there. The ticking noise kind of sounds like your fuel pump continuously running.

Have you checked to see if there are any codes thrown? That will usually happen if the check engine light stays on.
I just pulled the main relay and took a look at the circuit board. Compared to the other solder joint on the board, there's one on the far right which appears to be rounder and flatter. The rest of the solder joints have sharper peaks.

I'd take a picture; but it's not showing up as well in the image.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Once you have the relay apart, resolder everything. No need to guess if bad or not. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it is a pre-emptive measure that every 1988-1995 model needs.