Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 honda civic wont start!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Default 94 honda civic wont start!!

i have a 1994 honda civic...im not completely car smart..
but at first i would click an click before it would turn over. so i got a starter an the clicking went away and it started up fine til i let it sit there for about 3 hours and went to start it again... and it wouldn't budge. i replaced the battery. fuel pump-fuel filter. an now all it does is turn over... an addition to th situation is i noticed when i would turn the key an leave it "just turned" not to a complete start. the check engine light is one..like every car til the vehichle is turned complete on... well if ileave the key just turned the check engine light turns off. and at that point it'll automatically turn on..no problem... any ideas

Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Default RE: 94 honda civic wont start!!

check for, compression, fuel and spark if it doesnt start....

the engine check light is meant to turn off after a certain amount of time, though i dont know if the car will start or not while it is on, i have the feeling that mine does, but im not sure, as it is usual off by the time i have entered by keycode, put my belt on and ready to start the car....

Old 12-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Check your timing also. Unlikely that it's out of time from your description, but rotation+ nostart= timing/fuel/air or spark. Put a screwdriver next to a sparkplug wire thats not plugged in and try to start the car, you'll get a light zap if you have spark.

Remove a fuel line close to your intake and if you get a leak or a spray, you know you have fuel.

Next, air flow... Not sure if your car has a mass airflow sensor or something like it, my old 89 does not. Check that if you have one. If you have a MAF sensor, the smallest leak in your intake duct could cause it not to fire.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Anyone other than me think he should check the main relay? It is a 94, so it's getting up there in that age range for electrical problems. He replaced the starter, so it'll turn over. He replaced the battery, so it has power. He replaced the fuel pump, so it should get gas. But, if the pump isn't getting power... that might cause the starting problem. And when he has the key in, it's sitting there warming up the contacts in the relay, so it'll start right up?

I know the smoking gun on the main relay is usually summer heat causing it to not start, but could this be an atypical case?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Yea, that's a possibility. It should be on the passenger floorboard under the carpet. Close all of your doors, get inside the car and listen for the fuel pump to hum. That'll tell you if you're getting fuel pump power. If not, replace your fuel pump main relay as a starting point. It is indeed very common.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 AM

i already tried the screwdriver thing... it was catching on spark....
but when i firstgot the honda it wouldn't start... the owner believed it was a relay and had me replace it... similar to this one--->

this is to fustrating!!! i flippin love my car want want to figure this out thou!!

i done checked the fuel line...there seemed to of been leakage.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 AM

i can't remember if once he realized it wasn't the main relay if he took it off and put the old one back on... is there a way of texting the main relay... just curious..??

Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 AM

damn theres so much i've done to this vehical... i've also had to replace the head gasket cause geniuses didn't know how to put the head back on.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You've already been given some excellent advice in posts by other members, so I'll just try to reinforce their ideas. A starting problem usually involves faults in either the fuel or ignition system. Start by checking whether fuse #31 in the under-hood fuse/relay box or fuse #18 or #24 in the under-dash fuse/relay box is blown. Next, troubleshoot the fuel pump (picture below) and then the main relay (picture in my next post). If the fuel system is fine, then focus on the ignition system (for example, are your plugs fouled?).

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/7BE87EED5DC1466087D40D5B5AB5AEDD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

last picture...

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/09B42846EE2F4B63B9AE19391365F9BB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 94 honda civic wont start!!