Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 timing advice needed... time at idle or 2K rmps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 94 motor still wont start and run :( any help???? PLEASE help me out.

Civics do not like old gas. I poured one gallon that was drained out of another car on top of half a tank in my '95 and it basically would not start. It would fire a few times but it almost acted like the ignition was dead. Fortunately with a lot of cranking it could eventually start and I was able to drive it enough to use up the gas. Once started it seemed to run normally but I couldn't get on the gas much because it would ping like the stuff was zero octane as well.

Another interesting thing is that even ether-based starting fluid sprayed into the intake wouldn't get it to fire any more than just trying with the bad gas did. I think the bad gas makes it too rich for the ether to burn.

Same thing happened with my '91, was parked for about 8 months and wouldn't start, replaced the gas and that was the only problem.

Yes you can use a jumper wire to the starter and it will start with the key on, but you have to be extremely careful that it isn't in gear, the brake set and the wheels blocked and also stand to the side so if it does happen to start and all those other precautions failed, the car won't run over you.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 94 motor still wont start and run :( any help???? PLEASE help me out.

ya thats an idea.... just not sure if the clutchs safety is conected to the computer or not...

and ya the motors turning over just fine! spining freely. did fire up a min... BUT i turned it off to adjust timing a bit and it wouldnt fire up again... i dont see it being THAT PICKY with the timing not leting it run!
not sure if maybe i should put that timing computer wire in while trying....
cause it says to let the car warm up and THEN cross over the wire and adjust the timing...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378
Yes you can use a jumper wire to the starter and it will start with the key on, but you have to be extremely careful that it isn't in gear, the brake set and the wheels blocked and also stand to the side so if it does happen to start and all those other precautions failed, the car won't run over you.
o ya definatly got the ebrake cranked already.LOL im not gonna run over myself. LMFAO

if it wont fire up tonight i guess ill drain the gas tank and use that gas for the lawnmower....
i just REALY HOPE THAT IT WILL FIRE UP without buying anything else!!! i havent bought groceries in 3weeks now due to spending every dime on this 94civic!

i found a SWEET deal for a drivers door, both fenders, sunroof, trunk lid, taillights for only 100bucks....... i just cannt buy them cause i bought that new distributor and cap...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

haha... =P

But hey seriously, right now go out there and spray some flammable liquid in the throttle body! Go! I want some feedback afterwards.. To make sure the stuff is flammable spray some on the flame of a cigarette lighter...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

YEAH........ fired right up! without flamable fluids.lol

must have been the distributor coroded up and then flooded the motor. BUT DOWNFALL... i figure i have 2 bad things........
1. bad gas..... runs but doesnt always run smoothly. doesnt want to accelerate at times... figure its bad gas. but not counting out the fuel pump till i get this fuel pressure gauge.
and 2nd problem. i think i messed up the timing belt by one tooth. timing adjustment is JUST not enough to get timing mark right. DOPE!!!!!!!
sucks i know its gonna be harder to fix the timing belt now that its in the car.LOL
but tomorow morning ill drain the gas and again put another 3gallons of high octane fuel in it. and if that doesnt move the timing then ill pull the timing belt off and move it a tooth over.
just sucks i thought FOR SURE i had that timing belt right!!!! but i guess since it was my first timing belt swap... i can have one OPPS.LOL live and learn i guess. but im preaty sure its both problems BUT hoping just maybe its just the bad gas. ill find out in a few days!

cannt put the hot car in the shop.... its air conditioned and a hot car will warm that sucker up very fast.LOL plus dad would be PISSED!!!! ok back to original build thread...
thanks guys. one step closer to geting it back on the road..
im happy again!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

cool.. too bad for the flammable liquid

But what have you done exactly? you've reinstalled the timing belt?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

only thing i did to the car was add the fuel and change the distributor and button... let it sit overnight and it fired right up!