Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Civic Airbag Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Default 95 Civic Airbag Help

Hi all,
Im new to the forums. Ive got a 95 civic lx that i need help with. I bought the car with no airbags (im guessing they had been deployed) so i got the passenger and driver side bags and put them in. When i turn the car on, the SRS light does not come on. I have read other places both that the SRS unit needs to be replaced after each accident, and that it can be reset by shorting out a few pins or something like that. Does anybody know what I have to do to get that light to go on? I need to pass the CHP safety inspection. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 AM
HCF Member

I'm pretty sure the SRS unit is one-time-use, once it deploys it has to be replaced. Try your local wrecker/salvage yard, those things are ungodly expensive from the dealer. You might also want to check to SRS fuse under the dash. You can try the reset procedure, here it is:

1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

2. Find the yellow 2p connector connected to the under-dash fuse box, and attach the SCS service connector (or a jumper wire)

3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)

4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about 6 seconds and goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.

5. The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the SRS indicator light comes on.

6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds.

7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.

8. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for 10-seconds.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 AM

thanks so much. I tried this and the light didn't come on at all. Is it possible that the bulb for the SRS is out, and if so, how would I go about replacing it?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The previous owner probably disconnected it so they could drive without airbags and not have the light on. Pull the cluster and check. There is a yellow plug at the bottom which is only for the SRS light.

You're also supposed to replace the cable reel "clock spring" at the steering wheel after the air bags deploy, but if it still passes the self-test should be OK to use the old one.

Last edited by mk378; 02-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM

That sounds right, since they even went to the trouble of putting fake airbag covers in. I will try that then.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 PM

You were right-they disconnected the SRS light. I hooked it back up and put it all back together, and did the reset procedure. Instead of blinking twice at the end, the light continues to blink, and it stays on solid when the car is turned on. does that mean i need to replace the cable?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
HCF Member

If the reset procedure doesn't clear the light, you'll most likely have to replace the SRS unit. Check the obvious first; connections on the unit and airbags, and the fuse. You might also make sure both of the sensors are intact and connected.