Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Civic DX Coupe with acceleration problem. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Default 95 Civic DX Coupe with acceleration problem. Any advice?

I just purchased a used 95 DX Coupe with a 5 speed to use as a commuter car. I don't expect it to be 100% perfect (I paid $1,000), but I am having trouble when I try to accelerate when pushing the accelerator more than half way down. It feels to me like the transmission is slipping (the clutch engages ok, so that doesn't appear to be the problem), but my mechanic insists that there is an issue with the engine bogging down for some reason (plugs, wires, injectors....?).

Just to give an example, if I am on level ground going about 20 mph, shift into 2nd gear and then floor it, the car surges/bucks like you're on the back of a bull. If I'm going up hill, the car can't even handle the load and begins to slow down. Like I said, it feels like the transmission is slipping and catching (hence the bucking bull like ride), but my mechanic thinks that the engine is the culprit and isn't handling the load right due to something not working 100%

I want to try and avoid spending a lot of money at the mechanic if I can, but this is becoming a bit of a safety issue at this point. I can hardly merge onto a highway sometimes due to the car not accelerating properly.

Any hints on what I should look at first? Thanks.

-Drew

Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 95 Civic DX Coupe with acceleration problem. Any advice?

Check the fuel supply by taking off the return hose between the fuel pressure regulator and the pipe on the firewall back to the tank and direct it into a container. Turn key on and you should get a decent flow (for a couple of seconds anyway). If it just trickles change the fuel filter.

More likely weak ignition though, change the spark wires, plugs, cap and rotor (in that order if you don't want to buy them all at once).