Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'96 Civic HB::Coolant Leak and Cooling Fan Not Working

Old 12-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Arrow '96 Civic HB::Coolant Leak and Cooling Fan Not Working

About a week ago, my car overheated for the first time. I pulled over, popped the hood, and saw that the coolant reservoir was completely empty. I filled it up with coolant and that seemed to fix the problem. I shouldn't have been out of coolant though as I had filled it up not too long ago. I then realized that after the car had been running for a while, the cooling fan never kicked on. The fan is now not working at all. A few days ago, I looked under the hood and noticed that coolant was leaking again..it only leaks a little and its only when the car has been running. Once the car is parked, it won't leak anything at all. The fan is still not working..the cold weather and coolant has been keeping the car from overheating...I thought at first that there may be a leak in the radiator however I got a brand new one about two years ago..so I don't know if it was a bad radiator or there's another issue elsewhere...relay switch, thermostat, head gasket?? any ideas?? thanks!

Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think that you said that you can see where it is leaking out-- if that's the case, fix the leak. Otherwise keep looking and find the leak and fix it.

The first step in fan troubleshooting is to unplug the switch on the thermostat housing and jumper the plug. That should cause the fan to start immediately when you turn the key on.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

it doesnt matter how new the radiator is... if it gets a crack its cracked... i bought a brand new one from autozone put it in my civic and it had a tiny crack on the top mount tab once pressure built up so i had to take it back and get another one. i guess someone dropped the box or something.
but defiantly find the leak first! any leak is only going to get worse! its not something you can just ignore!