Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 civic ignition coil question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM
kma
HCF Member
Default 96 civic ignition coil question

Hi. I have a 1996 Honda Civic that was in a car accident a few months back. I already got all the body work done but now they're saying that I need a new distributor. The thing is that when the car was hit, I never bothered to start it since, but my father did (who's also the body man) in order to move it into the workshop. At this point I'm guessing that the car worked fine.....he then mentioned that it was the ONLY time the car had started. A few weeks ago he mentioned the distributor cap was broken so I got a new one. Now he says the car has started three (3) times but but shuts off. This is when he says "you need a new distributor". I know that heat can generally cause a problem with the ignition coil or even running the car without the distributor cap. My question is: Is it possible that due to my father's neglegance in checking under the hood before starting the car (seeing that it was in an accident), that because the distributor cap was broken and he started it; could that have caused a problem with the ignition coil. I would think that starting with a broken distributor cap would fall in the category of starting without one, but I know nothing about cars. I would hate to have to purchase a whole new distributor just because they're feeling too lazy to change a coil. Could someone please help me? Thanks.

*Generally, the question is....is it possible that starting the car with a broken distributor cap would have the same effect as starting without one at all?* *Also, would replacing just the coil or the entire distributor be best?*

I added the entire detail to make sure that the situation was understood. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 96 civic ignition coil question

It probably wouldn't run at all with a broken distributor. Obviously if the distributor or coil got physically damaged it might need to be replaced. Since the body is done you could take it to a general garage where they know more about engines. Starting a car without coolant (because the radiator broke in a crash) is very bad for it.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM
kma
HCF Member
Default RE: 96 civic ignition coil question

As I mentioned earlier, I bought a new cap, so now it starts but shuts off. There's a mechanic that comes in at the body shop to check the cars, he recommends changing the distributor. It's the same guy that took a look at my car when it had radiator issues. His failure to properly troubleshoot landed me a whole engine swap, which ironically, one month later the car was hit. I've thought about trying a DIY and checking out the ignition coil and the relay first seeing that a distributor replacement is very much costly here. I think I will take your advice and let a tow truck take the car to a proper mechanic. Though I'm pretty sure that it would cost more, I'd much rather have the job done right the first time (I've learnt oh so dearly). Thank you so much your your input.

The question still remains though....is it possible that starting the car with a broken cap would damage the coil the same way starting it without a cap at all would?