Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Honda EX odometer/speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Default 96 Honda EX odometer/speedometer

I have a 96 civic ex, manual transmission. Not long ago I noticed my speedometer was sitting at 0 while I was moving, but before long it popped up and worked fine. Since then I have noticed it sleeping now and then, but wasn't worried.

Last time I filled up, I was worried thinking my mpg had dropped considerably, til I realized my odometer was also not working whenever the speedometer wasn't. Over the last 300ish miles, I can estimate it working about 2/3's of the time. (Given my average MPG normally and what my speedometer was reading). It may be the case that my odometer was working earlier even when the speedometer wasn't, but I assume not.

The CEL works as of a few months ago when it came on for an o2 sensor, but at any rate it is not on now.

So after reading around, it sounds like the VSS is find because I am not getting a CEL? Gauge might be bad but others mention that odometer might work if just the gauge? Haven't tried cruise, will update if I get any info on how that works when the speedo is off.

Before I tried replacing things I figured I would check in in case my specific symptoms point obviously in one direction.

UPDATE: The cruise control does indeed work when the speedo and odo are not working

Last edited by Jacob McCrumb; 08-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.