Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer/odometer cuts in/out, 98 EX coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Default Speedometer/odometer cuts in/out, 98 EX coupe

I have a 98 EX coupe that has a speedometer that cuts in and out, very random. Interestingy, typically it will work if I start the car with the cruise control on (but not always). Two other things that may be related: the cruise control "on" light does not work at all, as well as the keyless entry no longer functions (and can't be reprogrammed).

I suspect these are all related. Maybe a bad ground somewhere? Anyone have any thoughts on how to sleuth this one? Thanks!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1) Since both the speedometer and odometer don't work sporadically, then the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) atop the transmission is probably bad. Also inspect the VSS connector. Is the CEL ON?

2) Does the cruise control function? Is the light in button or the gauge cluster not working?

3) If the power locks work but not with the keyless remote, then check the remote battery and remote itself. Also check for blown fuses (e.g., fuses 14, 28, and 47).

Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Hi Ron. Thanks for the tips. Here's to fill in your questions:

CEL is not on.
Cruise Control works fine...just the light on the button itself doesn't come on (the dash light works).

Power locks work, and I've changed the battery on both keyless remotes I have. Just can't reprogram the remotes through the radio and get the keyless to function (or the panic button). All fuses both under dash and under hood seem OK. Did notice that in the wiring diagram somehow the cruise control is linked to the radio for the keyless entry.

Seems like some sort of electrical connection/ground issue somewhere to me... Too many coincidences.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by BillStuart
CEL is not on.
Cruise Control works fine...
The cruise control relies on the VSS signal. When the speedometer doesn't work, then I'd also expect the cruise control to fail. If not, the problem may lie with the wire running between the VSS and speedometer/odometer. Check the VSS connector.

...just the light on the button itself doesn't come on (the dash light works).
This is likely just a burned out bulb.

Power locks work, and I've changed the battery on both keyless remotes I have. Just can't reprogram the remotes through the radio and get the keyless to function (or the panic button). All fuses both under dash and under hood seem OK. Did notice that in the wiring diagram somehow the cruise control is linked to the radio for the keyless entry.
Are you sure you are using the proper procedure to reprogram the remotes? Download the 96-98 Civic manual at the link in my signature. Also try the keyless receiver input tests detailed in the electrical chapter.

Seems like some sort of electrical connection/ground issue somewhere to me... Too many coincidences.
I think these are separate problems.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Hi Ron. Thanks for your tips and great info. You know, I'm actually not sure I tried using the Cruise when the Speedometer/Odometer weren't working. Since you say they are both linked to a functioning VSS, then if the Cruise does work when the other does not, that would be telling. I'll check it out and let you know. Btw, when the Speed/Odo work, it's rock-solid with no flutter

I'll also investigate the Cruise bulb. Seems odd for that to blow to me, but one never knows.

I have previously downloaded the shop manual, and tried reprogramming the keyless operation several times. As well as followed the directions in the owner's manual. No luck. It's in the shop manual where I noticed the link between the keyless entry and the cruise control somehow. The radio itself works fine, but it appears the keyless operation is on a separate circuit from this.

Also...low fuel light doesn't work. I assume not related, but who the hell knows.

I'll also check the VSS connector. Thanks again.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 AM
HCF Member

I'll also investigate the Cruise bulb. Seems odd for that to blow to me, but one never knows.
I have a '98 LX and my cruise button bulb is burned out for the second time since I got it two years ago.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Also...low fuel light doesn't work. I assume not related, but who the hell knows.
Separate issue again. The fuel sending unit (located near the fuel pump above the gas tank) also contains the low fuel sensor (thermistor; see diagrams below). With the ignition key turned to ON(II), the low fuel indicator light in the gauge assembly should glow at full intensity when you ground the GRN/YEL wire at the sensor in the sending unit. If so, the sending unit must be replaced. Otherwise, the bulb (or the GRN/YEL wire) is probably bad.

Name:  picture_1745.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  picture_1744.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

To get to the sending unit and the green/yellow wire for Ron's test, take the bottom cushion of the back seat out of the car. This is done by reaching through the gap between the cushions slightly left of center and removing the bolt. Then pull the back part of the bottom cushion up and tilt the cushion forward to unhook it at the front.

Now you can see the wires going to the fuel tank. Remove the metal plate and you are looking at the top of the tank and its fittings.