Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 civic issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Location: in a place thats hard to find and impossible to get out of
Question 97 civic issues

Hello, I'm new to the forum and imports but not to wrenching.So here's my issue I got a good deal on a 97 civic dx d16y7 217,000 on the odometer its got a few issues oil leaks, half shafts, mounts, bad ground straps, the speedo jumping and the engine losing power when the speedo goes out and gaining power when its working. I got about 2grand in parts to replace most of the problems but the speedo and engine power thing has me upset, I started by replacing ground straps, batt. and positive and negative cables seemed to fix it for 1 block then the speedo started jumping again did some quick wire checks everything seems to look ok. I noticed the cel wasn't coming on so i pulled the cluster only to find that the bulb is good. Took it to advance to have the codes read and it came back both O2 sensors (which look like they have been replaced) and the speed sensor is bad. Now with this info. and the fact that the cel isn't working (noticed alt. light not working also good bulb) and what the engine does i'm leaning toward a wiring issue but was wondering if a bad ecu could also cause these problems. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.