Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 crv shudders on hard turns

Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
HCF Member
Default 97 crv shudders on hard turns

97 crv shudders/vibrates on hard right or left turns. It does it in reverse also with or without braking.

sounds like its from the rear. The rear bearings were supposedly changed before I bought it, and to me it doesnt sound like the video clips I listened to of bad bearings. I wiggled the wheel up/down and side to side, its snug.

There was a cracked drum which I changed, I thought maybe the backing plate was rubbing on the new drum, but I re-assembled it and still same problem.

Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by MaximusFunk
97 crv shudders/vibrates on hard right or left turns. It does it in reverse also with or without braking.

sounds like its from the rear. The rear bearings were supposedly changed before I bought it, and to me it doesnt sound like the video clips I listened to of bad bearings. I wiggled the wheel up/down and side to side, its snug.

There was a cracked drum which I changed, I thought maybe the backing plate was rubbing on the new drum, but I re-assembled it and still same problem.

Any ideas?
MaximusFunk,

The source of the vibration that you feel whenever you take your CRV around hard turns could be a multitude of things. Firstly, your CRV could have a worn CV joint. When worn, the CV joint doesn't operate smoothly, so when you turn the wheel, it binds. You might feel a vibration or hear a click when a CV joint is worn out. Consult a technical diagram of the rear driveshaft (such as this one), do your homework and take your car to a reputable suspension shop for a proper inspection of this vital component.

Additionally, you could have a worn tie rod on one of the rear tires. Tie rods secure steering linkage to the car's frame. A tie rod end looks like a metal shaft with a bulb on the end that creates the connection. When tie rods become worn, they can cause a vehicle to shake, particularly around bends.

Finally, are you certain that all of your wheels are properly bolted in? Ensure that all of the lug nuts are tightened to specification.

Hope this helps you out buddy

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for your help, but I actually stumbled across the answer on my own. I changed the rear differential fluid today and it is 75% better. I will wait a couple days and change it again, hopefully that will fix it.