Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Ex Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
HCF Member
Default 97 Ex Overheating Problem

Hey HCF

Im having I guess an unusual overheating problem. Not too long I finished a auto to manual conversion, Last thing I swapped was the Intake manifold.

Long story short, my car didn't used to over heat and now the gauge fluctuates, when I am parked, when Im not sometimes when cruising ( rarely). I searched up a bit and I filled the rad with antifreeze while the car is on and the heater at max heat and throttle the car a few times.

It got a little better after that, but today I relized that it was getting up high again. When I checked the reservoir was empty and the rad needed some more. ( I had filled it up the night before ). I didn't see no white smoke so I am ruling out the possibility of blown head gasket. I was also looking for the bleeder screw but couldn't find it ( just to double make sure there is no air on the cooling system)

What you guys think it might be?

Ps. I have replaced the rad cap.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 AM

If you are losing coolant, you are either leaking onto the ground, or it is leaking into your oil. Otherwise, you would be burning it.

I would suggest to drain the oil and see what it looks like. The coolant HAS to be going somewhere

Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Slow leaks in the head gasket may not have white smoke coming out. Usually though this will leave the reservoir full (or even overfull) but empty the radiator.

I suggest apply a pressure test to the radiator and get under the car to look for leaks in the lines behind the engine. There are a lot of coolant-containing parts below the intake manifold that you really can't see from above.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I think I found what could have been the problem. Somehow the hose that goes from the radiator to the head wasnt tight enough leaking coolant little by little and leavig my reservoirs empty and my rad 3/4 -1/2 empty. At first I thought it was the coolant I spilled and never wiped but after some touchingand wiping I was able to determine that it was not tight enough. Let's see how it behaves now that it is nice and tight.

Thanks once again.