Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic DX stock - TDC sensor and stalling problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Default 98 Civic DX stock - TDC sensor and stalling problem - HELP!

A few months ago my engine light came on and I took it in to a mechanic to get it diagnosed. They determined it was the TDC sensor giving the notification and to keep driving with it as everything looked ok. at that time I changed the air filter, sparkplugs, and distibutor cap and rotor just in case. they light stayed on even after I pulled the battery off and replaced it again.

everything was fine for about a month until it was started stalling on me once in a while when sitting idle at a stop light or slowing down on the highway. it doesnt have a problem starting up again on the 1st or second try. as a precaution I took it in to get an oil and filter change (as I am guilty of not changing it for a while) and they also put in an fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank. that helped quite a bit as the light came off for about a week and a half but is back on again now. so now i took it in to a different mechanic and they did they same diagnosis and the TDC sensor was the one still activated. it still stalls once in a while every couple days or so. this new mechanic recommended changing the sensor itself as it may be defective but to wait until its time to change my timing belt which is coming up soon. last time i did that was at about 190km and now its at about 260km.

what could the problem be? could it be the sensor itself causing the car to stall or is it an indication that the timing belt needs to be changed again? or something else for that matter??

Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 98 Civic DX stock - TDC sensor and stalling problem - HELP!

My recommendation would be to change your oil regularly and to fix the TDC sensor/circuit problem. Do you know the precise CEL code that was retrieved?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM

no i dont know the CEL code unfortunately

Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you are interested, you can retrieve the CEL code(s) yourself using the jumper wire method described here:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php