Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'98 Civic LX needs help with spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Default '98 Civic LX needs help with spark plug wires

Hey guys, I just purchased a '98 LX Civic for commuting purposes and thought I do a tune up. So, I joined this site in hopes of learning from you guys.

First thing on the list is to change the spark plug and wires to NGK. But after searching on Ebay & Amazon there are several different wire sizes to choose from. 8.5, 9.3 to 10.2. I really don't know what those numbers mean nor do I know which one to choose from. Also, what is the difference between the blue & red wires?

TIA (Thanks In Advance) for your help!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 AM
HCF Member

I would recommend against buying parts online, unless you live in an area lacking autozones. So head down to your local autozone or equivalent auto parts store, and they'll help you out. Generic wires will do fine, as for spark plugs I would consult your owners manual and get the recommended plug; i'm pretty sure that would be the NGK v-power #2262 (ZFR5F-11).

The wire sizes and colors you mentioned are for performance spark wires, which are not necessary for a daily driver.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by brock1912
I would recommend against buying parts online, unless you live in an area lacking autozones. So head down to your local autozone or equivalent auto parts store, and they'll help you out. Generic wires will do fine, as for spark plugs I would consult your owners manual and get the recommended plug; i'm pretty sure that would be the NGK v-power #2262 (ZFR5F-11).

The wire sizes and colors you mentioned are for performance spark wires, which are not necessary for a daily driver.
Though I like to support my local auto store (we have Kragens, Autozone, Pepboys, etc.) they charged an arm & a leg. I can buy parts online for almost have the cost of what they charge me. But this is the ERA of Computers/.com but that's neither here or there.

Thanks for your reply. It was very informative.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There are a lot of really lousy wire sets out there. Absolute junk. They look great but don't do the job of getting the power to the plugs. Really the ones from a dealer are the only ones to trust.

The size or color of the wires doesn't matter. Eight millimeter wires should fit in the stock clips, larger ones may not.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
There are a lot of really lousy wire sets out there. Absolute junk. They look great but don't do the job of getting the power to the plugs. Really the ones from a dealer are the only ones to trust.

The size or color of the wires doesn't matter. Eight millimeter wires should fit in the stock clips, larger ones may not.

Really? So, I shouldn't order from site vendors or don't we have any reputable vendors members can trust and go through?

That's kinda sad to hear. I come from a motorcycle community and there are a lot of reputable vendors selling aftermarket parts/OEM parts/etc. at a very reasonable and competitive price. And we all help each other out by referring them to those vendors.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

Yes, this is particularly true with Honda parts. Since there is such a large consumer base, there are lots of junk part sources online touting lower cost. You get what you pay for. And mk378 is right, dealer parts are always a safe bet...

I know autozone isn't the cheapest, but i've found their parts to be of good quality, with great customer service to boot. My location shows $40 for a wireset, and $2.50 each for spark plugs for your model. Reasonable, i'd say.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I don't order parts online so I can't direct you towards a good one.