Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 CX with random exhaust smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
HCF Member
Default 98 CX with random exhaust smoke

My wife's car, 98 CX with automatic which has 130K miles.

Weeks ago, she said white smoke is coming out from tail pipe after the first start of the engine that day. So she didn't drive it. Later in the day, I started the engine and didn't see smoke.

Drove the car to my hangar, didn't notice smoke coming out of tail pipe. Bought the head gasket kit along the way. I have water pump and timing belt in stock.

Didn't get to the car a few days later. Now I bought a "block check" from NAPA, the fluid that changes color if it detect exhaust gas in cooling system. Did the test and I feel the test is not conclusive yet (?) because the fluid didn't change color all that much. It was blue with little hint of green. A guy on Youtube had more color change than mine.

In any case, I have parts and tools, I started ripping engine. But, now I am stopped due to crank pulley bolt not coming off. I have pulley retainer tool, I have air impact gun. Still not coming out. When I was working on other cars I've never had problem with. I broke one extension while attempting to have it off. So the work had stopped for the time being.

This past weekend, hurricane was upon us. So I needed the car and the space inside the hangar. I put everything back together and started the engine. This time I see smoke coming out of tail pipe. It is mostly white with hint of blue.

I drove the car for a few days but I have not seen the smoke since. Revved up the engine one time to see if there's smoke coming out. But I didn't see it.

Now, do you have any suggestion or idea why it is getting white-ish smoke randomly?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 AM
HCF Member

Which way to turn when loosening crank pulley bolt? I am turning left (CCW) but it is not turning. And I am starting to wonder,,,,,,

Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's conventional right hand thread, turn ccw to loosen. A good impact gun with unrestricted air supply is important. Extensions reduce the impact effect, put the socket directly on the gun for best results.

Last edited by mk378; 08-29-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM
HCF Member

Thanks. I thought I was correct on direction of rotation but if it is not working, the cloud of doubt looms in my head.

When I was using my gun, I was not using the extension. It was direct hit.

Extension was used when the gun didn't do the job. Air pressure was 125psi with 3/8" hose. This set up worked fine on other cars. But not on this one.

So I pull out the mojo long breaker bar. But, I didn't have long enough 1/2" extension to have long breaker bar to work with. So I had a section with 3/8" extension. That is the one broke on me.

Now I have a set of 1/2" extension in regular and impact. I would try again later in the week.