98 e x catalytic converter stolen/ cut out - HondaCivicForum.com

Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Default 98 e x catalytic converter stolen/ cut out

Hey I'm new to the Forum last night some limp dick m************ stole my car... I got it back about 6 hours later with everything of course stolen from the inside and the battery cut out and the catalytic converter cut out. They got my tools so I'm going to have a hard time fixing it, but it looks like I may have to replace more than just the cat. There are no bolts or anything left so I'm assuming there was some way to attach it. Muffler shop wants a grand and I don't have it.
Is this ever happened to you guys and if so what all did you have to replace I'm thinking oxygen sensors and some pipes and connectors but I'm unclear as to what to purchase
Old 10-06-2018, 03:19 PM

Get under the car and see what's missing? You should have exhaust piping, cat converter, muffler, and (2) o2 sensors. Sounds like it's time for you to upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colkurtz View Post
Hey I'm new to the Forum last night some limp dick m************ stole my car... I got it back about 6 hours later with everything of course stolen from the inside and the battery cut out and the catalytic converter cut out. They got my tools so I'm going to have a hard time fixing it, but it looks like I may have to replace more than just the cat. There are no bolts or anything left so I'm assuming there was some way to attach it. Muffler shop wants a grand and I don't have it.
Is this ever happened to you guys and if so what all did you have to replace I'm thinking oxygen sensors and some pipes and connectors but I'm unclear as to what to purchase
Are you in California? Just asking, as California doesn't allow sales of catalytic converters to individuals (stupid law). A way around it is to buy 1, and have it shipped to someone you know out of state, then have them send it to you. It's also why the muffler shop wants a grand to replace it (again stupid law that only authorized places can do cat replacement).
There should be flanges on both the head pipe, and the mid pipe for a new cat to bolt on, but it sounds like the thieves (I hate thieves) used a sawzall to remove it. You could buy a generic cat, and have it welded on. You'll need a new rear O2 sensor too, as Honda cats have 1 screwed into the cat.