Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

How to remove B pipe from Cat Converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Default How to remove B pipe from Cat Converter

So I got a new b pipe from Honda and was going to install it today. Rust had put a hole in it so it had to be replaced. To make a long story short it looks like the three triangle bolts connecting the b-pipe to the converter are siezed and rusted. I could grind off the bottom two and try and pound them out, but I would be stuck with the top one on as I can't get the grider in there.

Any ideas how to fix the problem?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:43 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: How to remove B pipe from Cat Converter

try to unbolt the cat from the header, that might give you enough room

Old 06-23-2007, 08:19 PM

I think I would have to grind those two bolts as well. But that may be easier. Im not going to damage the cat or the o2 sesnor by removing them am I?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
HCF Member

Sawzall FTW.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ericchile

I think I would have to grind those two bolts as well. But that may be easier. Im not going to damage the cat or the o2 sesnor by removing them am I?
no you'll be fine, just get another set of bolts from the dealer

Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 AM

OK I had a very hard time getting the o2 sensor out, so I just grinded off the b-pipe. I was able to get the highest bolt between the b-pipe and the cat off. But the bottom two were so rusted that I had to grind them off. Now im stuck with the bolts in the cat. I got the b-pipe all the way off. Just these studs I can't get off.

First how do I get the studs out... a hard hit with a hammer didn't seem to help.
Second can I just get bolts to replace them once they are out? Are there bolts I can get that won't seize up as much, as I do think I will have to replace the cat some day too.

thanks a whole bunch

Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM

If I turn on the car... get it real hot, is there a chance that I could pount them out with a hammer..? They aren't welded on there are they?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 AM

OK got the o2 sensor out.... now I guess I will take the whole dam thing off and see if a shop can get those studs out... What should I replace them with?

It probally would have saved me a whole lot of time just putting in a new cat converter anyway. Can anyone recomend a good drop-in replacement?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM

OK all done...

Took the cat all the way off and guy at the shop removed the studs after heating them with a torch for 10 bucks.

I replaced them with bolts and two nuts on the other side. I am going to buy some silver anti rust spray and paint the whole exhuast and hope it doesn't rust as bad next time down the road..

I should have taken some pictures so others could see what it takes... It would have been an easy project had all the bolts come off easily. Grinding bolts and replacing them takes a lot more effort and time. But I found out that most shops just heat the bolts up red hot and them get them off. Then use the rusted stuff again. Im glad I replaced most of them.