Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Catalytic converter/center pipe ('97 Honda Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Default Catalytic converter/center pipe ('97 Honda Civic)

Hello! I own a 1997 Honda Civic DX. Upon driving home from work last night, I all of a sudden heard the loud sounds you hear when the muffler isn't working and I heard something dragging on the ground. When I stopped to check it out, the pipe connected to my muffler (I guess this is the center pipe?) and the bottle shaped object connected to the center pipe (catalytic converter?) had become disconnected (I guess due to rust) and had been dragging on the ground (though it was still connected to the muffler and the muffler is fine). Can anyone tell me what I would need to get replaced and approximately how much it would cost? Just wanted to ask here before I take it to a mechanic, thanks!!! And sorry if this is the wrong forum, this is my first post...

Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Catalytic converter/center pipe ('97 Honda Civic)

By disconnected do you mean the screw came off or the pipe looks like it rusted through and corroded off? If it was just the screw you just have to get some screws and an o ring gasket and put them back together. If the pipe actually corroded through, you will have to take it to a muffler shop so they can replace the pipes that have rotted. Another option is going with a complete aftermarket exhaust.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 97CivicEX

By disconnected do you mean the screw came off or the pipe looks like it rusted through and corroded off? If it was just the screw you just have to get some screws and an o ring gasket and put them back together. If the pipe actually corroded through, you will have to take it to a muffler shop so they can replace the pipes that have rotted. Another option is going with a complete aftermarket exhaust.
Hi, I appreciate the quick reply. I'm not expert, but in looking at it it looks like it rusted and corroded off. I'm not that good with the terminology of the things here... there is an "S" shaped pipe directly connected to the muffler and connected to that pipe is some bottle shape object (which I understood to be the catalytic converter but I could be wrong about that). At the end of this bottle shape object, right where it is supposed to connect to another pipe, it appears as though it corroded off and is now dragging on the ground (on the other side it is still connected to the muffler). I had my muffler replaced a couple years ago and it was recommended then I get that pipe replaced but I didn't do anything at that point. Do you know how much it would cose to get this pipe and bottle shaped object replaced, roughly??

Old 06-17-2005, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

You can get it weld together for around $30.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:04 PM

I went to Midas in Arlington, VA to check what the problem was and they told me I needed the center pipe and muffler replaced because of rust. I did not see a problem with the muffler (I just got a new muffler 2 years ago) so I just told them to replace the center pipe. They fixed that (for about $230) and every thing was fine for about 2-3 days... but I am now, for some reason, hearing a loud rattling sound coming from beneath my car whenever I press the brakes. The sound appears to go away when I take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator, but comes back again when I press the brake. Also, I only hear the sound when I have the car in drive gear... if it is in neutral or reverse gear I hear not loud rattling sound, even if I press the brake. Can anyone provide insight?? Thanks...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

I'm having.. similar questions. My cat is bad on my 97 EX. It rattles like crazy and after taking off the shields I realized I will have to replace it. Someone told me I could straight pipe the car instead of buying a new cat BUT I thought there was an O2 sensor after the cat... can I do this?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM

I'd recommend starting a new thread next time. This one has been dead for 6 years.

But to answer your question, yes, there are two O2 sensors. Straight pipes are not great. I would recommend getting an aftermarket replacement for your cat.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't want to breathe your damn pollution. Seriously. I bet your friend likes to throw hamburger wrappers out the window because it's easier and cheaper than stopping at a trash can.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

Thank you WellFed.. New to this site and just figured out how to post things and figured I would search the forum. Mk378.. this is why I am asking. I'd rather ask and have people respond rudely than do something wrong. They just might like to pollute.. I don't.. be happy I went from a Ford Explorer to a Civic.

Last edited by AZipper; 03-18-2011 at 10:10 AM.