Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bolts between Catalytic Converter & Rear Exhast Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Default Bolts between Catalytic Converter & Rear Exhast Pipe

Hi,

Need to replace my tail pipe from the catalytic converter to the muffler. Have everything off, but I can't break loose the bolts between the converter and the rear/middle tail pipe. A couple of questions: 1) Are either the rear/middle tail pipe or catalytic coverter bolt holes threaded? If not, I can just grind the heads down, knock out the bolts, and replace all three; 2) If either are threaded, any advice (have tried heating the nuts; no luck).

Thanks,
Ron

Old 05-30-2010, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

not sure what kind of car you have, but on my 2000 civic sedan they were not threaded. one of mine was rusted on so I took a hack saw and cut the head off and it still wouldnt budge so i bashed it with a hammer till it popped out. you dont really need to use those spring bolts, you can replace it with a normal bolt and washers from the hardware store.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Angry Admin

the bolts are pressed into the catalytic converter if you look closely on the back of the flange on the cat you will see that they are not a typical square or hex bolt. heat it up and smash em out or cut em off. i ended up having to take mine to a shop to get them popped out and i just bought some random bolts from sears hardware and stuck em in. so far so good.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Default Ok, that worked, but . . .

Thanks for the tips. I cut the bolt heads off with a chop saw, ground the leftovers, heated the converter housing around the bolts, and whacked 'em 3-4 times with a ball peen hammer . . . they came right out!

Only hitch now is the new tailpipe/resonator hangers are off a couple of inches. Got all but one to fit. I'm assuming someone out there makes tailpipe hangers you can clamp on where you need them . . . any insight?

Thanks,
Ron