Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Default 99 Civic engine ticking noise

Good morning all!

This is my first post so first of all I would like to say thanks in advance for any help and I am glad to be a member of the community.

but now on to my issues... So I just picked up a 99 civic HB last Thursday and when I test drove it everything was flawless and quite... well over the last few days I have noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine when I accelerate. After about a mile or so the noise goes away completely. I stopped by my local NAPA in search of a universal antenna and the guy that checked me out happened to be a Honda enthusiast. He came out and listened to it and claimed that the valves just need to be adjusted and that its nothing really to worry about. Now… I don’t know too much about cars (yet) but I was hoping that maybe someone could help me out with this issue and give me a little more insight? Also if it does just need a valve job could anyone recommend me a shop in the Des Moines area that would be trustworthy and maybe the average going rate of a valve job?

Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could also be detonation caused by bad gas. When the tank is near empty, refill the tank with gas from a different reputable gas station. The ping may vanish. If not, get a fill up from another station and try again. If the problem persists, then try a Seafoam treatment and check the valve lash.

Last edited by RonJ; 03-22-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info, I have about 1/3 tank left so we will see if a different type of gas helps. I have actaully done a partial seafoam treatment. I have put it in the gas/oil but haven't had a buddy around to help with the 3rd part as of yet. Could you give me a little insight on "valve lash"?

thanks again

Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, make sure also to draw a third of a Seafoam can through the brake booster vacuum hose.

Name:  picture_2205.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  picture_2206.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  79.6 KB

Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 PM

yeah that one is a little advanced for me... haha. As soon as I get some help I'll run some seafoam though the break booster. I am hoping that some higher quality gas will clear it up, otherwise I'll have to take it into a shop and I'm sure they will charge me an arm and a leg to get it done.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM

ok, well I have an update. I have taken it to 2 shops and they both claim it to be some type of an "exhaust leak". The first shop siad they had no idea where it would be coming from or how to fix it. Second shop said it could potentially be an blown exhaust gasket or a cracked exhasut manifold. Can anyone tell me if this sounds accurate and maybe a reasonable price to get something like this fixe? Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you getting poor gas mileage?

Do a Seafoam treatment by drawing the liquid into the brake booster vacuum hose. Have the front end on stands and the header cover removed. Eventually, the Seafoam will generate smoke in the exhaust (this is normal). Watch for smoke coming from any part of the exhaust system other than the tail pipe.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:17 PM

RonJ.... you are a saint. Such quick replies. I have only had the car for 6 days so I am unsure about poor gas mileage... I am still on the first fill up but I do want to say it seems to be going pretty quick. How difficult is it to remove the header cover? This sounds like something I could potentially check myself before a shop tears me a new one.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Remove two bolts and disconnect and reconnect the primary O2 sensor connector. Removing the two cat covers shouldn't be necessary.

Name:  picture_2209.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  116.7 KB

Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM

That actually doesn't look too difficult at all.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to spot a blown gasket or cracked manifold other than seafoam? I am just looking for a backup plan

Last edited by blinduvula; 03-24-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic engine ticking noise