Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Default ?

i have a 1996 honda civic 1.6l with the vtec my alternator died so when and got a remanufactured one from auto zone. when i put it in it works fine, but the next morning my battery was died. then i went and got a brand new battery and its doing the same, died in the morning but it keeps a charge all day when i run it but when i leave for like 8 hours or so its dead. no battery light. what could be the problem i check the new alternator by takeing off the + terminal it runs still.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM

i just took my car up auto zone to text my alternator and he told me that was my amp to my radio but i had my radio hooked up to the old alternator it worked fine then now i am having a problem dont know what it could be please help with my problem

Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM

So you are saying you are still having the same issue? Sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Have you unplugged your amp to see if that changes anything?

Do you have any added lights, or gauges, or anything electrical recently? Did the problem just come out of nowhere, or after installing something?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 AM

yes i am haveing this same issue it came out of no where when i put the new alternator in, my buddy said it might be the + wire that comes off the alternator it might be ground it self out,i have no extra beside an amp

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

i had this same problem for months in my first civic, ended up being a random wire split somewhere that was shorting the alternator, happened fom a small fender bender and a badly placed wire, i paid an electrician to check all the currents and he found it fairly quickly, little electrical tape did the job.'
also they tried to tell me it was the amp, but i believe that is because most people go cheap and get it wired badly but some shops, because neither of my amps had anything to do with the problem in the end. and i knew it wasnt the problem cause it never caused a problem before it started happening.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1996 models are prone to the fuse 15 problem. The small wires behind the engine short out and blow the fuse, the alternator doesn't power up completely so it can produce proper full output, potentially leading to the battery running down.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM

i am not sure but when i got the alternator from auto zone there wasnt a metal bracket that was attached to the back of it i picked one offend and other one. if the fuse was gone it wouldnt charge at all right? its just seems like it was drawing juice from the alternator cause of the metal bracket as a ground.when i got a jump there was a lot of sparks flying when touched them both on the battery.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You need a voltmeter to know what's going on. When the fuse is blown there will still be some output but not enough to keep the battery full. The voltage varies. You might notice that as the lights blinking bright and dim at night.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM

i followed the wires back and they all seem fine. why is it when i let my car run for a little while when i leave my car alone for 4 hour or so it is fine but if i drive from work to home thats a short ride i leave my car for an hour its dead dead. i think i might take the alternator off and get it tested cause i think that there is something wrong with it. the only thing that i did was change out the alternator and i am have a problem with the charging system so i think there is some wrong with this alternator thats all i can think of. i didnt see any fuseable link between the alternator and where the white wire. it seems like its grounding out some where maybe the alternator

Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Measure the battery voltage with the engine running. Should be more than 13.5 volts. If not, you're not getting enough output to keep the battery charged.