Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

About my Civic,rear main seal leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Default About my Civic,rear main seal leak.

Hi,I`m new here.I have 99 Civis DX,262K,and I ride it 3hrs a day across terrible mountain&rough&mud roads.I also drive fast around many curves,260 to be exact each way.
I also had the bare wire issue common in these that kept blowing the fuse,I had to wrap the wire under the intake.
At 99K,my engine rear seal blew,but I had just washed it with a high volume fire hose on a wash rack,and blamed the failed seal,along with both front wheel bearings failing on the water.Honda fixed the main seal under warranty,I`ve had many failed wheel bearings since,6 on the right,and 5 on the left.
I did rings&head job& 200K,didn`t do front or rear seal,or bearings,cause the code is stamped on the rear of block on the 99 model,and the tranny was still in,I didn`t want to use Advance generic bearings.
My imput shaft tranny braring failed @ 220K,so I did the whole clutch,and the rear seal&rebuilt tranny.
When I pulled the tranny,I noticed that my rear seal had a slight seep,not wet,but you could tell some dust had sticked to oil.so I did the seal.I noticed that the Honda shop had nicked the crankshaft,with I guessing a screwdriver taking the old seal out@100K.I polished the area a little with emery,and put the new seal(from Advance,it was a major brand)on,and the clutch&rebuilt tranny.The tranny was from Autozone,a Proking rebuild,I think.
Now,at 262K my clutch started grabbing,and the seal is leaking again,I wish I`d left the old seal in now.
I`m wondering if this car just has issues with the rear seal(front is original),and if the car is worth pulling the tranny again?
I also have issues with slack in my drivetrain.I get a jerk if I don`t push gas pedal very gently.I replaced the middle rear engine mount.
My old tranny had this slack also.Now I`m thinking the rebuilt,and the original tranny had slack in the diff gears from high milage,or wear in the case that the rebuild shop didn`t address.It is still possible I have a bad RF tranny mount,but I don`t think it is bad just by working clutch in gear&looking at the engine moving.I`ve been told on rebuilding the tranny in this car,all gears,and diff gears must be shimmed properley,to remove excessive slack,as honda sells amny different thickness shims&washers to space properely.
So,is summary,I have to repair my rear seal leaking,replace clutch again,and if this car is worth trying to find the slack in the drivetrain.
Any thoughts?Regards,Dizz

Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Update..No rear seal leak.Don`t know what`s causing the rough action on the clutch.This replacement clutch is a Chinese Advance clutch,I was wary about using it when I put the tranny back in.The original Honda clutch had only .01" wear after over 200K,it still measured well within useable limits, Should have reused it.