Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Acceleration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Default Acceleration Issues

Hey Everyone!

5 months ago I finally purchased my very first car after a year's worth of saving my part-time money.

I bought a 1999 Honda Civic EX 5-speedwith 190kms. I bought it because I started an internship at a company and needed a vehicle and knew that civics had a good reputation.

So far I love my car but recently I've been having some acceleration problems. When in 1st or 2nd gear, I have no issues. When I have it in 3rd and accelerate at a normal rate, no issues. The problems start when I am in 3rd and I give it a little more acceleration than normal...it starts to jerk. It feels like fuel is not getting to the engine or something.

The car idles wonderfully (can't even feel the car is on) and when using engine brakes there is no jerk.

From some of the research I've done (googled: jerk and acceleration and civic) I have found stories that it's the transmission. I really hope it's not. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? New spark plugs? Timing belt? Plugged fuel filter? What's my best option? Should I take it to a Honda dealer and have it diagnosed?

I really hope it's not the transmission asI have been planning to sell this carand use it as a downpayment for a new one. I hope this is a relatively easy fix as I would be devestated if a year's worth of work would all be for not if I have tofix the transmission for $3-4k.

I am located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada if anyone has any good mechanics I can take my car too.

Thanks for reading!!!!

Mark

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Acceleration Issues

first do NOT go to the dealerships.......unless you want to pay an arm and a leg. I would check your fuilds, clean fuel injectors, and go from there.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM

To clean the fuel injectors do I just buy the liquid and pour it in with my fill up??

Old 10-11-2007, 12:11 PM

hey,

I've just read that you have 2 options for cleaning fuel injectors:
1. pour in the solution on your next fill up or
2. take it to a mechanic and have them taken out and cleaned

Which option should I use? I know 1. will be cost effective but 2. will be more thorough.

Help?

Thanks!

Mark

Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

If you have no idea of what it could be, I'd take it to a garage, and have it checked. You don't want to spend money on the wrong things.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe you are just shifting into third too early. You should be going about 25-30 mph before shifting to third.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Hey,

I've driven stick for about 3 years in total.

I've had this car for 5months and didn't have any acceleration problems. It's something that has just recently started occurring.

Mark

Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Hi,

Yesterday I don't know why I did this but I started accelerating really heavily (about 5500-6000rpms 1st gear/2nd gear/3rd gear)down some side streets on my way home. It seems that this morning, about 50% of my acceleration jerks are gone.

Can anyone explain this?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Default RE: Acceleration Issues - Fixed!

Hey

So I took the car to a mechanic and I needed new spark plugs and wires...

She purrs now!!

Thanks for the replies.