Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

acceleration on my 89 civic hb. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Default acceleration on my 89 civic hb. PLEASE HELP

ok so last year my cars timing belt broke, i had no money to get it repaired and i had no idea how to do it myself. so my car has been sitting for pretty much a year. then my mom got this boyfriend that wanted to help me fix it so we found out the water pump was broken too. anyways we fixed it all up and now it runs again. today was the first day i drove it around and i noticed it doesn't accelerate as good as it used to. not just a little worse A LOT. i was just wondering if anyone knew why. there's only one reason i can think of but im not that smart about this stuff. the throttle gets stuck sometimes because of how long it was sitting for, i sprayed some wd40 on the throttle and it works a little better. but i noticed that when im driving if i lightly touch the gas its like normal accretion (or closer to it) but if i floor it then it slows down. now is that because of the throttle or the fuel line or something else? if you have any ideas why this would happen please reply because it would REALLY HELP. thanks.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Default RE: acceleration on my 89 civic hb. PLEASE HELP

I would have checked the gas pump or fuel line.. But then again, I'm not an engine-wiz.. My 94 Primera is slow as hell when it's freesing cold outside -5 celcius and the engine is cold, and that's because my fuel pump is freesing up.. As soon as the car gets warm it gets better. This is probably not the same as your situation though. Another time when my engine got really slow and sleepy was when my radiator got all messed up. So the engine didn't get any cooling at all for a couple of hours driving around pretty hard and really HOT weather. (I blew the engine after about 3 hours of driving ^^). Got a new engine and a new radiator though and never had any problems after that. Except at cold start in very cold weather.

But check the pump and/or fuel line. My 5 cents atleast.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:08 AM

The first thing that you need to check is your compression to be sure none of the valves got bent when the belt broke.

If it checks out good then make sure the timing is correct. Many times if you get the timing belt off by a tooth, the car will run but it will either have no power at the bottom end or have awesome power but no top end depending on which side of TDC it's off. On honda's this is a very easy thing to goof up.

A question does come to mind. Did you flush out the gas tank and fuel lines before starting it up? As illyont mentioned, fuel could be a factor. If fuel sits in a tank for a long period of time it WILL turn to some NASTY stuff. You may want to run some fuel additive in it a few times to help cleanse the system.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:15 AM

thanks a lot. i will check to see if the timing is perfect, i think my moms boyfriend has a timing gun. we did not flush the old fuel out of the car first so ill be sure to go get that stuff to put in the fuel. thanks for the replies they really did help me out a lot.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

There could be something in the fuel line for sitting so long. If thats the case... put some of that engine cleaner that you dump in when you fill er up... that might actually solve that problem. Im only saying that becasue that happens to our country jeep every year when we go to fire it up for hunting.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM

Sounds like the timing's off to me.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:52 PM

thanks, the more advice the better. my moms boyfriend is comming over this weekend so we wil check the timing and clean the fuel line. thanks

Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

search around here for cam timing. ive posted a tip on it, it has to do with setting the cam at TDC. im just too lazy to retype it.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:57 PM

i say replace the pluggs.. my friend has a 89 civic hatch si and it was slow as hell and strugged hard, and we replaced the plugs and it smoked a 97 eclipse gs with i/h/e.