Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice (Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders, CV Boot Dry Rotting, Wheel Cylinder)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Default Advice (Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders, CV Boot Dry Rotting, Wheel Cylinder)

I'm trying to sell my car (97 Honda Civic DX 5 Sp Manual) - upgrading to 2003 Honda Civic. Someone wanted to take the car to a mechanic to do a checkup before buying the vehicle. He came back after 3 hours and gave me a list of things the mechanic identified and wanted me to reduce the price of the car by $1000. I'm not sure whether he was trying to fleece me - the car was inspected 1 month back and I had the 90,000 mile service done just 1 year back. Below are the list of problems (according to him & his mechanic). Can someone give me whether the estimate is correct & is there a way a not-so-saavy car user can check whether the problem really exists... I really appreciate your response

1) Clutch Master & Slave Cylinders Leaking - Est $344 - How to check whether this is leaking?2) RR Wheel Cylinder Leaking - Est $100 - How to check whether this is leaking?3) CV Boot Dry Rotting - Est to reboot $170 * 2 ($170 for each axle) - How to check for this?
Can someone please advice...Thank You

Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice (Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders, CV Boot Dry Rotting, Wheel Cylinder)

WOW that suck heres how you check these items.

1) do you have soft breaks, or look were the master cylinder and booster come together is it wet?? or are the lines that go into the master cylinder wet??

2) pull your tire off, pull of your drum and inside on the top in the middle will be a barrle looking thing about 2 inches long maybe a tad longer, is it wet, is it wet all over the break shoes and drum? Once again are you having to pump your breaks to stop or is the peddal soft??

3) simpley jack up your car secure it with a jack stands. you can start on either side. Im assuming you know what the cv shaft is correct, if not its the long shaft that goes from your tier to your tranny. on each side of these there are rubber boots. look at them is there grease all over, or do they have little cracks and stuff??

if any are bad or leaking you can fix these your self for cheap.
cv shafts around here run about 65.00 a piece dont reboot them its dumb if you ask me.. wheel cylinder around 20.00. the master cylinder and break booster, are btween 30-60 a piece.
you can do all of these things your self.
Hope this helps some good luck.