Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

After I,H,E Install my car sounds Raspy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:41 PM
HCF Member
Angry After I,H,E Install my car sounds Raspy

Today I removed my stock Intake, header & Exhaust from my 5 speed 97 civic EX and replaced them with AEM SRI, Megan racing 4-2-1 header, and Apexi W2 exhaust system that is straight pipe and doesnt have a catalyic converter. I was looking for a nice deep growl when I hit the gas, but it sounds more raspy and annoying. Could you guys give me any advice if anyone has gotten the same results using the same installs I did. Or could you give me ways to trouble shoot and change this sound.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

putting in a catalytic convertor will make a difference on the volume portion and will probably make it less annoying, and it might change the sound but thats really no garuntee. My recommendation is to start by getting a Magnaflow Direct fit Hi flow cat. It will bolt straight up to the exhaust. that should help out a bit. plus running a straight pipe is not street legal and the magnaflow cat is.

Other than that i dont think you will be able to change the sound unless you buy a different exhaust. which will just cost you more money.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM

it's raspy because you are using a test pipe. Also, check your header's midway flange (the joint of the two header pieces) for an exhaust leak/bad gasket. Megan headers are notorious for blowing midway gaskets... trust me. (although megan headers are still great budget headers, don't get me wrong)

Is the WS2 piping too long to use a cat, or is the section of piping where the cat normally goes removable? If so, take that section off and put your stock cat back on. Do you not care that you are throwing a CEL? Your car will run in limp mode and have less power than before you installed the exhaust.

When i first installed the WS2, I was using the exact same setup as you, including the test pipe.
I switched the test pipe out for a magnaflow direct fit high flow cat, and the sound improved tenfold.
I am now using that same setup (AEM s.r.i., Megan 4-2-1 header, magnaflow cat, ws2 exhaust) and it sounds great. I can guarantee a positive sound difference by switching to the catalytic converter.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 08-03-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

Please put in a cat converter...

Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

yes its the test pipe! my old 94 well prevous owner hacked it out and it sounded really crappy! it took a twinloop muffler to silent it down alittle better but it was still alittle raspy.... my friends 94 had the same fart can muffler without the silencer and his sounded deeper and better than mine because he had his cat converter on his car!

replace the cat and you should be good.