Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

annoying rattle sound when i drive!!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Default annoying rattle sound when i drive!!!! HELP!!!

ok.. so hopefully this description will make sense

when i take off and stay at a steady speed of say 40 mph i hear this rattleing noise. It sounds as if it comes right in front of me, like near or under the dash of my car. If i just keep accelerating i wont hear it though.. but as soon as i stay on one speed it just rattles on forever. One thing i noticed today also while driving... I'll be cruising on 4th gear going about 40.. i hear the rattling.. THEN.. i put it in neutral. at the same speed, and the rattleing stops.. at first i thought it was just something loose in my car, but ever since i discovered that im thinking its something else.. someone please help me.. when it comes to **** like this, im clueless... what do u think it is? and what should i do about it?

Old 06-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: annoying rattle sound when i drive!!!! HELP!!!

the engine vibration is causing something to rattle around when you keep it steedy

Old 06-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Administrator

could it possibly be the heat sheild? i had that problem before...my exhaust pipes would rattle against it because it was just bent to much...i would check that

Old 06-19-2006, 05:20 AM

+2 for heat shield .. this was issue as well after hitting a piece of plastic in road. fugged up my crappy shield.. so made noise until i replaced header/exhaust.. course now i have a rattle on new hatch from the c-clamp on the exhaust.. having to reposition,,

Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 AM

I had the exact same problem with my heatsheild. The noise was pretty consistant and very annoying. Its a very quick job, it just need bolting further up and away from the exhaust.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 AM

aright.. so what do u guys suggest i do now... how much would it cost to fix it.. i dont wanna get ripped cause im a girl

Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM
mxs
HCF Member

just take it off yourself, it doesn't seem worth taking it anywhere just for that. Spray PB Blaster on the bolts, wait for the car to cool down, and just unbolt it.

I had mine taken off at the shop just because the car was in for something else, and they just took it off for free.

My catalytic converter heat shield was also removed for free, by a manhole cover in the road . . .

Old 06-22-2006, 03:39 PM

IT cost me bout £20 to get it fixed, had itdone when i was getting my exhaust sorted

Old 06-23-2006, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Msjessica

aright.. so what do u guys suggest i do now... how much would it cost to fix it.. i dont wanna get ripped cause im a girl
It's a metal shield that is attached to the exterior of the catalytic converter. The car can run without it. Replacing it would be a waste of money. I would recommend, like the others, to just get it removed. I don't know how much a garage would charge for that since I would just remove it myself. Call a muffler shop and get a price quote.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs
My catalytic converter heat shield was also removed for free, by a manhole cover in the road . . .
niceeeeeeeee.... gotta love the roads these days.. free parts removale