Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

I got this item at Harbor Freight. It's a Cen-Tech brand (cheapest I think).

Attached Thumbnails Another Power Window Problem-p3124009.jpg  

Last edited by dio2zx; 03-13-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 AM

Hey dio2zx, did you ever get this fixed? My friend just experienced the exact same thing on her 02 Civic. She said smoke came from the button panel on the drivers side, but now the passenger side window wont move. All the other windows still work. Im guessing I will need to replace the master button panel on the drivers side since something went up in smoke.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM

Not yet. Mine still not working and I have not tried anything except for the motor of the window which is working properly if connected to the battery. For now I am suspecting the master switch because of the burnt smell came from there before it happened. I will figure this out some other time and I will post any outcome I may have.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Default 02 civic - same thing happened to me - power window button started smoking

I started my car and the power window button started smoking, and the rear driver side window won't roll up and down... I'm guessing the switch just failed... i have a 4door 2002 civic lx

Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 AM

Finally, got my window fixed just yesterday. After tutorial from a friend on how to read multimeter, I found the culprit. It's my master switch that quit. I bought a used master switch for $40 and installed it.
I inspected the inside of my old switch and saw a burnt plastic of the broken button.
Thank you guys for all the help. I saved $145 as the honda dealer charge me $185 for parts and labor.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Default hate to hijack but...

I hate to hijack this thread but it is much easier to explain my state on this post which has the passenger side switch test diagram.

My fuse 22 had blown out. I was however told the issue was the regulator, so I replaced it, and it still didn't work coz the fuse was out. So now I replaced the fuse and turned the key to ON, and without me pressing either switch the passenger side regulator automatically started moving. Then the new fuse blew out.

So my assumption is one of the switches is shorted in the UP or DOWN position. Now I have the passenger side open so I tried testing that switch.

From the diagram, I am assuming the switch should be upside down when testing (counting pins 1 to 5 from left to right). I tested all possible terminal pairs. Here is what I see.

With switch not engaged either way: shorts from 2 to 5, 3 to 4.

switch down: 1 to 4, 2 to 5.

switch up: 1 to 2, 3 to 4.

Please let me know if (a) above means the switch is fine, and (b) if the switch is behaving right?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Unhappy tried replacing the passenger side switch

tried replacing the passenger side switch and now the fuse does not blow any more, but the regulator is already in the maximum up position, and my pressing down does not seem to do anything. Pressing up works (i hear the regulator clicking) but it's already up so nowhere to go. Any ides why just down is not working? Do I open up the driver side?